Horsepower, the never ending (couples) debate

IslandNomad

Reaction score
Hi All,

About to purchase my first pontoon boat, I've sailed for many years the best way possible (other people's/family's boats), but have never owned a boat. Now, we've moved near a lake and the wife thinks that we should spend more time in our own "backyard" than traveling the country. Agreed we decided that a pontoon boat for the lake (Candlewood Lake ~5,400 acres) was the best choice. We narrowed it down to Aquapatio and Bennington and have decided that Bennington is the way to go - warranty and layout.

So - here's my primary question - we are going to buy the new 2015 SPDX (Dinette table with 4 seats) and we're back and forth on the engine. We're buying a floor model which comes with a 115 Yamaha, but for an additional $3000 we can get the 150. I think it's wise to upgrade now and not wish we had, she doesn't see the need to upgrade so why spend the extra. Here are the variables and I truly appreicate your insight and advice:

• 24' Twin Ellipticals with the Freshwater Performance Package (strakes, wave shield)
  • 2,525 lbs accoring to the Bennington site
  • Primary uses will be cruising the lake, enjoying a cove and some fishing
  • We will have other couples on there so I would expect 4 adults and two young children most of the time
  • Secondary might be some tubing, but no water skiing/wakeboarding
  • Will only be used in Candlewood Lake for the foreseeable future (not getting a trailer and this lake is huge for our area)
I know the old addage is to buy the most you can afford, but I also don't want to overspend for no reason.

Thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

You don't have to use it but it's nice to know it's there. You won't regret it. And welcome to the Benny lifestyle.

Welcome! You've found the right spot to get information on this topic.

There are MANY threads to chronicle 115 vs 150 debates, but the vast majority go like this: "I wish I would have gone with the 150 to begin with", "buy your last boat first", etc. You don't hear of people with a 150 saying "I wish I had a 200, 250, etc.". The Yamaha or Merc 150 is the sweet spot for a pontoon and enables you to confidently load up the boat when needed or enjoy watersports such as tubing much more. I'm sure others will chime in here as to why, but best of luck with your search.

Most people know what my position is. Get the bigger engine. You will never regret having a bit more power. Generally people regret having not enough. It also gives you more options down the road. I think it will give you better resale. It gives you the option of water sports and having a bit better cruising speed with a full boat and may serve you better if you decide to trailer to a larger body of water.

Cheers, Steve

Tom said it exactly. People constantly wish they had a 150 when they bought a 90-115. I have yet to hear anyone that got a 150 say "well it was a waste, should have just got a 115!" it is by far the biggest jump in performance between motor sizes and worth every penny. It will help you be happy with the boat you have, instead of being disappointed and want another boat shortly, which will cost far more than the initial $3G! Trust me, I know!! Haha.

THIS thread says everything you need to know! Or just ask Kaydano about it ;-)

Think resale. Everyone on here says go with the 150, you go to sell and you have a 115, not going to be as easy as if you have a 150. And believe me, there are a couple folks on here that THOUGHT they bought their last boat first... but I think they bought thier 2nd, 3rd or 4th boat last. I think what everyone is trying to tell you is...This is an argument you may possibly win with your significant other! 

I really appreciate the quick responses and the insights. I knew the answer before I asked, but as I don't know what I don't know, it was the right decision to reach out. 

TomS - Thanks for the link, didn't even see that post before.

OK, so next steps are to share all this with the wife and sign the paperwork!

Hmmm, speaking of paperwork, I'm pretty sure I'm getting a good price, but....

2015 24SPDX

Yahama 150

Twin Eliipitical Performance

Sea Star Hydraulic

Bow Gate seat

Pillowtop upgrade

G series helm upgrade

Seagrass Full Flooring

Extended Aft deck

Kicker Speaker upgrade

Console with integrated sink

Upgraded pedestal seats to bass style seats

Privacy Chaise

Garmin Echo Color 300

~$42k plus tax

Does that include trailer?

No trailer

I did the MSRP boat build on Bennington's site and with all the extras (didn't list everything like the LED lighting) we're getting about 20% off MSRP

Highly recommend the elevated helm if it's available on that model.

Once again, like Tom said! Elevated helm is very worthwhile! 

Can't get that as it's the showroom floor model. If we go custom he says it'll cost more and be 6-8 weeks.

Should cost less becuse he does not have to floor it, but the lead-time is accurate. I'd offer him less for the floor model or let him know your going to shop. Unless you need a boat within the next 10-12 weeks.

Looking to get the most out of it so we'd ideally like to be on the water in May. If the rest of the price looks good I'll skip the raised helm and spend the money on the 150hp upgrade.

Looking to get the most out of it so we'd ideally like to be on the water in May. If the rest of the price looks good I'll skip the raised helm and spend the money on the 150hp upgrade.
That's a worthwhile trade off for sure.

I like the discussion about how the 115 is in a bit of no man's land.  The 90 is great for it's application, but with what you're looking for I say go with the 150 for sure.

where the heck were all you guys in 2012

Back