Hour meter question

sidecar1997

Reaction score
I had a dumb A attack the other day and left my key on. It registered 18 extra hours on the meter before the battery ran down. Question is: is that just a reference meter or does it actually register time on the engine? I don't really want non run time to show up on the engine. I thought about disconnecting the meter on the dash and keeping track to correct the time.

The ECU on the engine should record hours that it's running. You could disconnect the guage and keep track for 18 hours, then hook it back up.

I was told it was "key on" time.  I had 4.9 hours on my boat when I picked it up and they said someone left the key on for a few hours.

I thought it was engine running time only. Although I guess it could be key on time too, as I always have my key turned back and off when not running the engine.

I lost hours over the winter. Put the boat away with low 50's, come spring it had high 40's.... Weird.

Mine had hours on it when we picked it up from the dealer, i know they didn't go joy riding 'cause it was still in the factory shrink wrap.

I assumed it was just on time while they did the prep work.

I don't even have an hour meter.......

I lost hours over the winter. Put the boat away with low 50's, come spring it had high 40's.... Weird.
Sounds like your prop is on backwards. 

My last comment was a joke just to be clear. You can't put a prop on backwards. 

You can put it on upside down, but not backwards.

My last comment was a joke just to be clear. You can't put a prop on backwards. 

You can put it on upside down, but not backwards.
damn.... and  I wanted zero hours on my boat!!!!! Please don't tell me there's no Easter bunny?

There are Easter bunnies. I like to bite the heads off first, then eat the rest.

Our boat does the same thing.  When we put the boat away on our lift I normally look at the hour meter to see how many hours we put on that day/weekend and for some reason we've had it (what seems to be) roll back hours if we don't make it to the lake for a couple weeks.  Over the winter we were fine 138.4 when we pulled the battery and 138.4 this spring when we put the battery back in for the summer.....odd that it seems to happen only on a week or 2 vacation from being used.   Maybe my bennington is a cousin to a famous delorian and it starts to roll back hours on the meter when the flux capacitor kicks in at 88 non used hours

Back