How fast should my pontoon go?

Great post from Viking staff! The only thing I would add is what is your trim level? If you have it all the way down where the front end is plowing through the water, that will greatly reduce your top speed. A friend had a new 200 a few years ago that was WOT 10-12 mph slower than it should be. Went back to the dealer and the only issue was where he had the motor trim set.

Great post from Viking staff! The only thing I would add is what is your trim level? If you have it all the way down where the front end is plowing through the water, that will greatly reduce your top speed. A friend had a new 200 a few years ago that was WOT 10-12 mph slower than it should be. Went back to the dealer and the only issue was where he had the motor trim set.
Great catch Tripp! This is certianly the first thing to check if OP hasn’t been adjusting Trim while at WOT. Plowing water will slow it down big time. I admittedly just took for granted that the OP was adjusting trim, so I didn’t even consider it.

OP: Play with trim first (if you haven’t been already), if the low performance speeds persist when trimming motor, then circle back to my previous post.

CL Dave and I have the same engine and Benny Length: I am 10mph slower with Bimini up, 4 extra people, and probably a few hundred pounds of extra stuff.
OK - so our Benny hit the water this last weekend for the start of SUMMER! The Temperature was a cool 95 (vs 110 + last time Benny was out). I finally had a chance to WOT towards the end of the weekend - again fully loaded, 5 adults, both Biminis Up, and a full tank of gas - hit 45 mph at 6230 RPM's, with a few short stretches hitting 47 (that was downstream - LOL). I certainly conclude the Temperature had a positive affect on my speed, but could it be I found a new high performance prop design???

Attachments

• 2022-06-05 19.22.17.jpg
    2022-06-05 19.22.17.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 49
Interesting new cupped design on your prop ;). What did you hit?

Hmm, that sure doesn’t look like any SS prop I’m familiar with. Was it always not shiny?

Interesting new cupped design on your prop ;). What did you hit?
Right! No idea what we hit - going down the river section of our lake (canyon) - some type of rock out-crop I suspect.

Hmm, that sure doesn’t look like any SS prop I’m familiar with. Was it always not shiny?
Bright and Shiny when new - about half way through the summer in the Lake - this was it's new look: Enertia 14.7x16.

I'm betting it's aluminum, to have that tip bend like that. A SS prop would more likely chip or spin the hub, not fold over like that.
Enertia - picture from 1 year ago new, and another shot of prop today! Now, I did have some work done last year after the 1st season (a couple of chips that year - that was learning curve errors maneuvering the boat in shallow coves with wind). I tried to order a new "backup" from PropGods - but their inventory moves so fast and were out. Leaders had them in stock, free shipping, ordered Tuesday arrived Friday - total cost was cheaper than anywhere else and one of the better web sites. I will swap it out and have the original fixed and tuned, probably use a local shop in Havasu - apparently there are few Prop Guru's.

Attachments

• 2021-07-01 Prop.jpg
    2021-07-01 Prop.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20220606_022230018 prop.jpg
    PXL_20220606_022230018 prop.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 44
Enertia - picture from 1 year ago new, and another shot of prop today! Now, I did have some work done last year after the 1st season (a couple of chips that year - that was learning curve errors maneuvering the boat in shallow coves with wind). I tried to order a new "backup" from PropGods - but their inventory moves so fast and were out. Leaders had them in stock, free shipping, ordered Tuesday arrived Friday - total cost was cheaper than anywhere else and one of the better web sites. I will swap it out and have the original fixed and tuned, probably use a local shop in Havasu - apparently there are few Prop Guru's.

Good gravy that was a big strike - did all three ears take damage?

I ran my backup SWS2 prop while the Enertia was out getting serviced and it's no comparison, everything about that Enertia feels and is better.

Good gravy that was a big strike - did all three ears take damage?

I ran my backup SWS2 prop while the Enertia was out getting serviced and it's no comparison, everything about that Enertia feels and is better.
Just the one blade. I remember the feeling a quick slight bump (I was not driving at the time) and saying to myself we must have bumped something in the water - not close enough to shore to hit anything. So, no idea - and maybe it was a different point in the weekend.

Jeff.......I haven't been in the forum in a while. Like your suggestions and will check everything out.

Agree with you on two subjects.....toons are clean and toons are not leaking. I have a Yamaha F300. I dont know my specific prop information.

Tom

I am going to have to rely on my local marina to help me; the same marina that claimed I have no problems.

Search "List your Specs Here" - lots of great info on this topic, ideally you find a match.

Back