How long can Ethanol Free Gas stay fresh?

dannyleininger

Reaction score
I have been faithful adding the Yamaha Ring Free and Fuel Stabilizer in my F150. However, circumstances have me not using the Pontoon as often. So the concern is how long can I safely go between fill ups?

My experience is that it can go bad in less than a year, even if it's treated.

I've never heard that before. I'm not sure how long non-ethanol can go but I'm sure it's way over 1 year. If non-ethanol, especially treated non-ethanol, can go bad that fast, what is even the point of using it? One year without treatment is how long regular auto gas WITH ethanol can go.

I'm not saying it will. But I've seen it before, so I'm saying it can.
Today's fuel is garbage compared to years ago.

Most treatments will say that it keeps fuel fresh for 1 year. I personally, wouldn't want to go much longer than that or any longer.

Thanks for the input

I fill up in the fall with premium at the gas station on the way to winter storage. In the spring I go from storage to the launch and don't usually have to add more for a few months so I'd say my gas is in there for 9 months. No issues yet.

I leave the treated premium gas in my quads for 9 to 12 months, pending 1 or 3 trips for that year - never an issue. A buddy uses "discount / offbrand" gas stations, regular gas - though he treats it - and every couple of years his carburetors all need to be rebuilt / cleaned out from the gas going bad / gumming up the tiny carbs.

I had to have a fuel line cleaned out a few years ago because of the ethanol content of 10% here in MA Had gummed up the line. I Never let it go more than a few months since with no issues. Agree the gas now is junk and any mechanic will tell you the same but the corn producers are happy.

Keep your tank full during long periods of storage to help prevent moisture from migrating in and eventually separating out (phase separation).

Run your engine every now and again during storage if possible.

Check water separators.

Use treatments that may extend life of the fuel.

Ethanol in gas isn't an issue with modern outboards as fuel lines and plastics are now designed to handle it. But as with any fuel, get it from a reputable source.

As a longtime motorsports enthusiast I have experience with fuel volatility and ethanol issues. The biggest horror stories associated with ethanol have to do with alcohol phase separation. These issues are not common. Since you are asking about fuel staying fresh I will assume you are asking about loss of volatility. A good example of volatility loss is what happened with my little fishing boat that never got used. After sitting for three or four years the little motor became difficult to start. New gas fixed that and I than drained the old gas into a can to be used as a fire starter. After another 5 or 6 years the old gas from the can could no longer be lit with a match. That’s extreme loss of volatility. Typical volatility loss is a bit overstated. Recently our old snowmobile started right up with two year old gas. I was not surprised. If it had acted cold blooded I would have added Sea Foam to the gas to improve volatility. That has worked in the past.

I would imagine that degradation of gas (oxidation?) is on a sliding scale, and doesn't just drop off a cliff from a usability standpoint? So while the advice out there might be 12 months without treatment, it might still burn/combust on the 12th month plus one day, but just fractionally worse. And just slowly goes downhill until it can no longer ignite or provide the minimum burn energy to turn the crank?

I'm thinking along the lines of an old Advil pill - yes there's an expiration date that represents maximum efficacy but you can still take them years after and still get some moderate level of pain relief.

Back