How much gas does a 24 gallon tank hold?

kaydano

Reaction score
We were out Saturday, and I was REALLY worried we were going to run out of gas. It was a long 30 minute ride back to the marina at 15 MPH, which was what memory told me was the most fuel efficient speed for our boat. Started the last leg home with just over 1/4th of a tank. Half way back it read 1/8th tank. Pulled into the marina, and the gauge was just over the E mark. Whew. Figured I probably had a couple gallons left since it wasn't to the E line yet...

That is, until I brought it home tonight and stopped for gas. I have a 24 gallon tank, and I put 24.5 gallons of gas in it. I suppose the hoses hold a gallon maybe? I was on vapors...

So, the question is, how accurate is a 24 gallon tank? Is it very precise? Or just close? What's the possible error?

My experience with all things marked with a capacity label is they are RIGHT ON the mark, almost always... So, just curious if anyone knows about the Bennington tanks.

Oh yeah, you all know this, but I can't resist mentioning it. If I was Derrick, I would have run out of gas!

(Hi Derrick!) :)

Oh yeah, you all know this, but I can't resist mentioning it. If I was Derrick, I would have run out of gas!

Nah, Bulldog would have given the gas tank a few sips from his bottle of Rye

They are polyurithane tanks so the physical dimensions say 24 gallons but after bulging a bit and what the hose hold ect it can hold a bit more.

The first time I filled my 59 gallon tank when I brought it home from the dealer who supposedly put a couple gallons in to prme and check the system took 61 gallons and was still pumping when I stopped it. I should have gone until it topped out but didn't want a mess so I am still curious as to how much more it would have taken. I rarely ever fill it to brimming.

I think that Canadian Rye would be like race fuel for it. :p

I think I read somewhere that marine gas tanks have extra capacity to allow for expansion. Does this sound right? I know that every boat I've ever had could hold more gas than the tank's rating.

I know the S series states 24 gallon/21.4 USABLE .... So you might have been pretty lucky ???

Haha, I don't even have a smartass comment for that! Mostly because you're probably right!! Luckily, I have a 56 gallon tank and am on a small, but nice, lake, so it takes A LOT of tubing to burn through that in a day!!

Oh and I appreciate all you southerners acknowledging the quality of our rye! Oops, I mean Whiskey!

Interesting, owners manual says the gauge is accurate within a 1/4 tank. Sure gives leeway doesn't it! If was me I would have had to break out the paddle.

AWK

Back