How much to tip dock staff for mooring at a bar restaurant?

As a retired public school teacher, I don’t think I can afford these new tipping expectations. Perhaps I need to go back to work in the classroom with this teacher shortage, and put a tip jar on my desk. Label it “Quality of Instruction Increases by Tip Amount per Kid”. ;)

That could help fund tipping others in a “second” retirement!?! :p

I guess I'm in the minority in this crowd. I tip often and generously. It makes me happy to give a token of my appreciation to someone doing a good job who likely has more financial challenges than I do. And I'm one of those guys who randomly pays for the stranger behind me in the a fast food take out window. I don't look first to see how many people are in the car or what they look like. I make my mind up before someone gets in line behind me. I like to make someone's day for them.

I guess I'm in the minority in this crowd. I tip often and generously. It makes me happy to give a token of my appreciation to someone doing a good job who likely has more financial challenges than I do. And I'm one of those guys who randomly pays for the stranger behind me in the a fast food take out window. I don't look first to see how many people are in the car or what they look like. I make my mind up before someone gets in line behind me. I like to make someone's day for them.
I'll bet you give money to the road beggars, too ?? Pastor friend of mine told me he always does. I asked how he knew whether their begging was justified other than feeding a drinking habit as an example. He said it didn't matter to him, because that was between them and their maker, and they would have to live with their decisions. He wouldn't risk not helping the truly needy. Now, I don't go that far, but I've offered many hungry to go inside at a restaurant, and I would pay for their meal. Never had one take me up on that yet. I've offered to fill up gas tanks when asking for gas money. No takers on that one either. So there you go. Now back on topic. Lol

I don't give to the road beggars (too many fakes), but I do follow Dave Ramsey (Ramsey Solutions) and have been successful at "living like no one else so that I can live and give like no one else". Thanks to 40 years of service with one employer before retiring this past March. :cool: It feels great to leave a larger than normal tip (I don't mean dropping $100 all over town), I mean 30 or 35 percent for a job well done and/or a person providing customer service that is obviously living paycheck to paycheck. My favorite gift is a donation to any type of small-town animal rescue.

Last edited:
I agree Big D, we have asked folks standing with signs on the road "need work" to come do yard work etc., NO Takers. I also had a guy with a hungry please help sign so I drove thru Arby's got him a meal, he got nasty with me, took the drink but refused the food, said he needs money not food. That was my last attempt with roadside folks.

A local television station did an “investigation” of a roadside panhandler. Followed her back to her newer car parked a block away and then to her rather nice home. So much for being homeless or honest.

There is a group around the Tifton Georgia I75 Exit that the Highway Patrol referred to as "gypsies", their MO is to be pulled over on the side of the exit ramp as if their car is broken down, they have small children standing outside the car (to increase the tug at heartstrings) when you pull over the man comes to your car window and throws fake gold at you demanding money. Very scary for sure. Sad that you can't risk helping people any longer.

I'll bet you give money to the road beggars, too ?? Pastor friend of mine told me he always does. I asked how he knew whether their begging was justified other than feeding a drinking habit as an example. He said it didn't matter to him, because that was between them and their maker, and they would have to live with their decisions. He wouldn't risk not helping the truly needy. Now, I don't go that far, but I've offered many hungry to go inside at a restaurant, and I would pay for their meal. Never had one take me up on that yet. I've offered to fill up gas tanks when asking for gas money. No takers on that one either. So there you go. Now back on topic. Lol

A fairly well to do good friend (2nd dad to me) and mentor passed couple years back and during his eulogy his son told the story of him giving $50 to a beggar while on vacation. His son asked him “what if he’s faking it“ and he responded “what if he isn’t?”
He was more concerned about answering that question after death, than having the extra $50 during life.

My favorite thing to do at a diner is pay for the “old timer veteran” with the Korea or Vietnam war hat on. You don’t say anything but just watch their reaction when the waitress tells them it’s covered. It makes you feel really good inside.

Hey John hope all is well at Lake Murray! We also tip often and well.......For good service and going over and beyond their normal job. My post above had to do with tipping the forklift driver and dockhands at our marina. When we went out on Mother's day (A Sunday, rarely go out on weekends) the forklift driver dropped our boat in the water and 4 different dockhands handled our boat. 2 grabbed the lines and pulled it down the long ramp and gave it to 2 more dockhands who pulled it to an adjacent loading ramp where we got on. Do we tip everybody? What do we tip? It can add up quick every time we go out! Plus we come back in the afternoon and reverse the process. Another example. Went to an outdoor concert last weekend with food trucks, vendors, the works! Bought some pulled pork, pulled chicken, brisket sandwiches and fries from a food truck. Cashier hands me his IPAD and the screen asks me if I want to leave a 15%, 20%, or 25% tip. Now I've left tips for takeout before during the pandemic showing my appreciation that they were open and serving people but I politely declined this transaction. If we were at a BBQ restaurant and we were waited on and received good service we would gladly generously leave a tip. But this was different.....

BigKahuna the crazy thing is, rumor has it those tips are not for the person serving you. The businesses are now asking for tips to help them with pay increases for the staff and inflation. They don't divide up equally to share with the team!! We now tip separately with cash in those cases (assuming a tip is warranted)

BigKahuna the crazy thing is, rumor has it those tips are not for the person serving you. The businesses are now asking for tips to help them with pay increases for the staff and inflation. They don't divide up equally to share with the team!! We now tip separately with cash in those cases (assuming a tip is warranted)
That also applies to cruise ship employees. Just got off a cruise to the British Isles. Our room steward was telling us that he doesn't directly see any of the gratuities that passengers pay daily. The majority of that goes to the workers behind the scenes that do not come in contact with the passengers. That's why we will tip him/her separately as well as our waitstaff in the dining room!

We always tip 20% when they fill up our boat, and at the restaurant - we pull up to the dock and jump off, and they take the toon to a buoy, when we come back we always give them 10 bucks.....We arent wealthy for sure but just consider it part of the whole boating costs...

My wife and I have discussed this at length. We put our boat in dry storage at the end of last year so this is relatively new to us. A fork lift operator takes it out of the bldg and puts it on a pad. When we get there we put all of our stuff in and put up the double Bimini. (Not hard but a process that takes a little time) He puts our boat in the water and a dock hand/s grabs the ropes and will tie us up as we are coming down the ramp to board. The same process happens at the end of the day in reverse. Okay who do you tip? The forklift driver who put it safely in the water and back in the bldg? The dockhands departing and returning? We pay enough money yearly to keep it there do you have to tip? We don't mind tipping for good service but we would be tipping everybody and their brother everytime we go out on the boat!!! Your thoughts???
BK, 10-12 years ago when we had our bow rider in dry storage on 150, I didn’t trip every trip but at the end of the season after winterization I would hand the fork lift operator a thank you card with $50/75 in it. I figured he was just like me, getting paid for the job he agreed to do. That was a little extra.

I tip the girl on the dock $10 at the restaurant we frequent. She helps tie up and she adjust the lines for the tides while we are inside eating.

Back