How old are you, and still ski?

Okay I stand corrected, I had said our youngest was 2.5 when he learned to ski, found the photo on his second time up and my wife pointed out he was a few weeks from being 3. Oh well, here is second time up :)  This kid is now 6'3" and 25, hard for me to believe.

Steve

Alden_Skiing_3.jpg

Well I'll be honest....I'm 46 and definitely need to lose some weight BUT I had my wife pull me on one ski last summer and I got up first time and just tore it up.  Only thing is I could only do a couple of laps around our lake hitting it that hard and man was I ever sore the next day.  Still fun as hell though.  I'd stretch out really well before and after you go.  I say go for it....just listen to your body and as SOON as you start to feel fatigued, be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good advice, Keith!

I finally talked my wife in to supporting my ski wishes. I ordered a set of Obrien Celebrity Dual Tunnel skis, the rope and the harness. I figured that I better get a set so I can ease back into the slalom, plus it will give me two for those grand kids and other relatives that will need to start off with two as well. I'm going to make do for now as far as connecting to the boat, but I can't believe she saw the ski rope when it was delivered yesterday, and said, "I guess we'll need to invest in one of those ski racks. How much are they?".  I said, it would probably be best. :D

Ok... pretty excited, today. I bought a pair of skis and a rope to see if I still had it in me. Today, October 30th, Kelly and I went out to see if I could still ski. She had never pulled a skier before, but on our last outing, I gave her instructions, let out the rope and allowed her some practice time making starts, turns, etc.

Well, I got back there today, not even knowing if my boat would pull me up after a couple of people had suggested that it most likely wouldn't.    It did!    After my wife figured out that she had to give it more throttle, that 90hp yanked my 200 lb self up out of the water like it was attached to a ski nautique. I was very proud of my wife, my boat, and myself. I was a bit shaky since this was my first attempt in over 15 years. I got up, skied as much as I wanted for the first time, tossed the rope away, and sunk into the 74* water.  Test one is behind me. 

Now, I'm hoping the video saved the event. I'll know when I get back to the house. 

Nice going SpoiledRotten

Congrats! Let's see that video! 

Congrats! Let's see that video! 

I'm editing it, now. You may think I look like a new calf taking his first steps, but it's been a long time, and I'm not that young daredevil I used to be. I'll post as soon as it's finished loading to photobucket. 

Nice job!

Good job Randy! Slalom next?!?

Yep... Taking the baby steps! It wasn't as easy after all of those years as I thought it would be. Although I got right up on the first try, I was pretty unstable for a while. It will take some work/play. I used to do some crazy stuff on a ski back in my stupid years, but just getting up and staying up without falling, was an accomplishment in itself, yesterday. I'm surely planning on keeping up the practice until I've got the slalom back in my life. 

Nice job Pal

Nice job! In addition to you, the lake and weather look pretty nice. Wish my boat was still in the water!

I know you guys would love to have a longer summer, but at least up there, you get to shovel snow in the winter. We don't get to do that here. :D

I know you guys would love to have a longer summer, but at least up there, you get to shovel snow in the winter. We don't get to do that here. :D

Was in the 80's here this past weekend. Probably 70's this week. Has been absolutely gorgeous!

IF it snows here. It disappears or melts quickly......

Nice job! I'm impressed with that 90!

Nice job! I'm impressed with that 90!

It really impressed me. With what I'd read, I wasn't even going to make it to the surface, but it yanked me up really fast. 

Back