How to Install VHF Radio

Shubunkin

Reaction score
My searching says VHF is too short to include in search (I only get postings on the entertainment system), so posting here. We have a 22S and purchased a Standard Horizon Explorer GX1800GB VHF with GPS radio. Cannot find installation instructions anywhere and honestly the only idea we had was to buy a plug and plug it into the accessories port. That cannot be the only way to do this. Total newbie so please forgive if we are being idiots. Is there some way to insert into the helm, or does it need external brackets? Doesn't everyone need a marine radio and why is it so hard to find instructions on putting it in?

I have a hand held .

For inland lake people, many probably do not need marine VHF radios anymore because of cell phone coverage. That’s my guess why it is so rare these days, particularly in the pontoon community. If one is a must for you, handheld would probalby be more flexible.

Last edited:
Go with handheld. Make sure it floats.

Thanks, all. We are on a 3 mile wide river and want to go down to the ICW, so perhaps a different application than most. We also have virtually no cell service in our part of eastern NC. Could anyone point me towards a wiring diagram for an S series?

If you have a cigarette lighter outlet on helm, wire it into that. VHF is line of sight so the only way to reach further on transmit is to raise the antenna. Of course you’ll be able to receive from CG and others with giant antennas. I have a handheld on west coast of Florida ICW and even that is a bit of overkill. But it’s always there, just in case!

Back