How would you approach the trailer

JaqnKat

Reaction score
All,

Hope to pick up from everyone's experience before doing any more damage to the boat.  Yesterday was a bear loading the boat onto the trailer because of the wind.  It was a quartering wind blowing from the rear port side (about 7-8 o:clock) at about 15 to 18 MPH.  I kept trying to approach the trailer from the downwind side but fighting the wind kept the boat crabbing about 45* from straight in.  Finally got it on but not before hitting the right rear vertical guide on the trailer (splintered the wood and the mounting bolt put a nice 3" gash on the right pontoon)  Open to any suggestions on how to change the approach for some better luck besides trial and ERROR.

I've always just floated our boat on our trailer. We would pull up to the dock/ramp. Tie up. Back the trailer down the ramp untie and use the lines and just float it on. .......

Same as Kahuna, and if I have the option I use the side of the dock that has the wind pushing the boat towards the dock. My messy attempts have all been during the initial tie up with the wind pushing away from the dock, losing the stern while securing the bow or vice versa. Much easier with two people but if I'm alone I use the wind to keep the boat in line.

I was driving my boat on because everyone at our boat club was doing it.  After a night with too many adult beverages, my wife could not drive the boat on.  I went back to floating the boat on and haven't looked back.  I never had issues driving it on, but with the option to float it on, I take out a lot of potential risk from driving onto the trailer.  

If you can float it on in the wind, that would be my suggestion.  Good luck!

There is thread on here about practicing out in the middle of the lake with pool noodles. This helps you get a feel in certain conditions. I like floating on, but Somtimes it's just me and I don't have a choice but to power it on.

I have a little experience with this, although with a lift more so than trailer but the concept is the same. My dock faces north so with a typical westerly wind/breeze I am always getting pushed while coming back into the lift. I have tried coming into the wind at a 45 degree and turning hard port last minute and it was hit or miss. The technique that I found best for me is going slow. I'll approach parallel to my dock/lift upwind and slowly keep some forward momentum (enough to keep the boat on that parallel path). I'll let the wind do its job and start to push the boat over behind the lift. When I clear my load guide I am only a couple feet from the end of the dock and can easily add a small bit of power and scoot right in. Knock on wood I haven't had any issues yet and have docked in some pretty windy conditions. If I didn't have a lift I would dock on the side where the wind was blowing towards the dock/ramp. I have used this technique when removing the boat via the trailer and it works as well. Practice makes perfect. Some days we go out a couple times so I've had my fair share of these approaches. Main think is to go slow and don't be ashamed if you have to hit reverse hard and come back around. I've had to do it a few times and I'd rather do that vs. damage the boat.

Docking.png

I didn't read all of the suggestions yet, but if the wind is even a little too rough to chance messing up my boat, I'll pull to the dock, parallel to the ramp. My wife holds the boat about a foot from the dock, then I simply back down under the boat. I may have to pull a little more winch line out for this procedure, but at least I'm in full control at that point, not the wind or the waves. If you are good at backing, this will be a 100% safe way to get your boat onto the trailer.

Our slip is in a marina with little room to maneuver (at least with our 28'). As a long time boater, I have learned to never go any faster than I want to hit something! So, I go extremely slow leaving or entering our slip. As a matter of fact, I now walk it in/out, rather than trying to maneuver with the engine.

Leaving, I walk it to the end of the dock (we have a three sided slip) and then push the bow in the right direction just before boarding. Returning, I idle up to the starboard (or port, depending on wind direction) dock and then hop out and walk it in.

By doing it this way, I don't have to be perfect, just close enough that I can step onto the dock and then guide it right in. I guess I thought that because my boat looks quite big, it would also be hard to handle manually, but nothing could be further from the truth. 

Where I once dreaded the wind, it no longer is a problem! I know your situation is somewhat different, but perhaps this approach might work for you. Good luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
I always get close and come to a stop, let the wind move me around a bit.  Get a feel for what the boat is going to do then just pop it in and out of gear just enough to keep control and load or dock.  Once you do it a few times its easy.  

Back