Hydraulic assist Power Steering?

ronfl

Reaction score
OK! I tried this question on another tred but I didn't get an answer. I thought Hydrolic assist and Power steering were the same with just another name. What is the differance?

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Look down about 8 posts or so :)

Let me try to clear this up for everyone, hydraulic steering uses fluid pressure created at the helm when you turn the steering wheel, making your arms the power source, there is a fluid resevoir built into the steering 'column'. Fluid is forced to the assist cylinder as you turn the wheel. Power steering uses an electric pump to generate fluid pressure at a much higher level, similar to your cars power steering, giving a much easier steer. I hope i explained this well enough for everyone to understand the difference B)

I have an email from Bennington reguarding this. However, I am at the lake on my phone and it is difficult at best just to stay caught up on reading. When I get home tonight, I will sit down and try to decipher what it says and get back to you if Geoff's explanation is not enough.

Thanks,

andy

Ok, in from the lake. Let me try to explain this as per what Bennington has to say on the subject.

Seastar hydraulic steering adds a cylinder at the back of the boat (in the transom). It makes steering easier, but not fingertip. Power assist steering is ADDED to the Seastar system, and Bennington installs an additional power cylinder closer to the console...normally in a chaise lounge in front of the console. There is a bit of an electronic "hum" to power assist while in a turn, but this system does provide the ability to drive with one hand, and it is as close as they can get to automotive steering with an outboard engine.

Bennington recommends power assist on any boats over 150 HP.

Hope this clears up the subject. If not, we will go at it from another angle.

andy

Ok, in from the lake. Let me try to explain this as per what Bennington has to say on the subject.

Seastar hydraulic steering adds a cylinder at the back of the boat (in the transom). It makes steering easier, but not fingertip. Power assist steering is ADDED to the Seastar system, and Bennington installs an additional power cylinder closer to the console...normally in a chaise lounge in front of the console. There is a bit of an electronic "hum" to power assist while in a turn, but this system does provide the ability to drive with one hand, and it is as close as they can get to automotive steering with an outboard engine.

Bennington recommends power assist on any boats over 150 HP.

Hope this clears up the subject. If not, we will go at it from another angle.

andy
So power assist is the better of the two systems?

Back