Hydro Hoist Boat Lift

Dtaylor2954

Reaction score
I am going to buy a HydroHoist brand, boat lift. I have a 2021, 22 SXSR, SPS Tri Toon Package with a 200 Yamaha. The HydroHoist dealer tells me, that the center bunk is not needed unless the motor is 250HP are larger. Does anyone have any input, they could share on this topic.

This has come up almost annually in various threads the past few years. Mixed feedback from members, dealerships, and even Bennington over time.

Last year it got hit up on a few times in replies to this thread:

Tritoon Lift Bunks

Read through the entire above thread, and you will get the thoughts and ideas that are likely to be left for you with your inquiry here. There are other threads if you do a search over the last few years that you come across the same information as in the above link.

My 2 cents: if you are buying a lift with pontoon support bunks or support cradles, and have a tritoon, why not spend a little extra money and just support all three pontoons - particularly the heaviest pontoon: center pontoon with transom and motor on any boat with a 150HP or larger?

I concur with Jeff (Vikingstaff). I have a HydroHoist lift and have three bunks.

I use straps on mine w/ 300 hp, Bennington is ok with this. Most of the people on our lake use straps. 3500 Boat lifts.

I use straps on mine w/ 300 hp, Bennington is ok with this. Most of the people on our lake use straps. 3500 Boat lifts.
I think this advice is something we want to be careful with. Some have received conflicting feedback from dealerships and Bennington on using strap lifts.

There have been a couple members, one in particuarly I am thinking of, that had their pontoons damaged due to a strap lift. Lots of variables in play when lifting by straps, support points, etc.

I would toss out caution when considering them for these reasons, and just understand there are certainly better (safer) options out there.

When I had a lift modified to fit our boat I was told the same thing. You don't need a center bunk support. So I had cradles installed for the outer toons and 2 blocks that were the same height as the outer toon cradles installed on the supports so the center toon can sit on them.......

“3 toons are supported when your boat is floating, why not support all 3 when storing them ?”
Exactly, and use long bunks.

I have a similar boat to yours and I don't agree with the dealer.
Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't a 250hp only weigh only 80 or 90 pounds more than the 200hp? These boats have the engines set back pretty far on top of the fact that the center toon extends an extra foot or so compared to the outer ones. There is a lot of leverage with that engine hanging that far back. Yes, the hulls are very strong, but I wouldn't want that much weight hanging out there without support under the rear of the center toon. Cracking a weld isn't a fun problen to deal with. Not sure if you have a center fuel tank, but if so, that's even more weight.
I'd rather spend the extra $$ for the extra bunks now, than wish I would have 2 or 3 years down the line.

If you have a full center toon with the motor mounted on it, you need a center bunk.

Back