I have a stupid battery question.... Please help!

Porsche

Reaction score
I'm a complete dumbass  when it comes to anything electrical.... When I had my 2016 2350 RSR winterized last season they pulled the batteries so that I could put them on battery tenders over the winter. I just put the pontoon back in the water and went to hook up my batteries & realized that I didn't note which cables connect where on the battery behind the helm (the one with the switch). I am just about smart enough to figure out red is positive/black negative, though there are some accessory cables that aren't clearly marked. 

Could someone with a similar dual battery set up please post a picture showing all cables connected? The owners manual & google are no help!

Hey, don't be so hard on yourself. I learned through experience many moons ago to "tag" each wire so the next season installation would be a snap. That said, how many accessory cables are we talking about? Color? Not sure I can be of assistance but I know that somebody on this forum will. 

Actually, I may very well be in the same boat. I just purchased my Benny last season and the dealer unhooked the batteries for me, so I have no idea what was hooked up to what.

One thing I know...don't hook anything up unless you're sure what goes where.

What model?  DOH,,,, just re-read 2016 2350 RSR

Dual Batteries? There are some schematics under the technical forum that may help.

Last edited by a moderator:
So - here's a picture... I'm mostly unsure which terminal to attache the 'Battery 2' cable and the bundle of black / green wires. I'm assuming negative as it has a red wire coming from the same conduit.... 

If it was me I would chase all the wires back to be sure what they go to  . It will be a little time consuming but you will know its correct. Then take a pic for future reference. It will be good to understand also a bit more about your boat down the road if something comes up.

Generally red is positive and black is negative. From what i see the red that has the standard battery terminal connector goes to the positive. The other one that has red on the top actually says positive on the one with the red end so the other will be the negative. I have to believe the other group with the black and green are negatives also since your saying they have the fused red wire with it. The other that has battery would also be a negative. I would say the 3 that are black are the negatives and the 3 with the red are the positives.

Aren't the accessory cables black or red?!? Mine are clearly marked for ease of installation.......

I rewired my old boat from scratch. The fused red line is used to run the accessories then the black and green are the what completes the circuit. The way my old one worked was I had positive wire to run to the console then it jumped to all the switches to power running lights and etc. The wires going to that stuff was color coded with a black common negative wire tied into all of them and then back to the battery.. I feel pretty safe to say red positive and black negative as that is fairly common standard in low voltage systems such as a car,boat etc.

One last thing. the terminal holes on the black look smaller than those on the red. Probably that way so you don't hook them up to the same terminal. Not positive on that but looks that way on the picture. you can test it out as long as you don't complete the circuit.

I am in agreement with Steve, three sets of red and black. Look close at the the black and green bundle, I wonder if the green also has a black stripe running down it. Regardless, I would find it dang near impossible to believe that someone would knowingly use black wires for a positive wire. Especially not on a 2016 boat!

Thanks for the replies everyone - I've never had a dual battery set up, so what confused me was why the positive cable has the common automotive style connector and the 'battery #2' cable has the eyelet connector.

i spoke with my marine mechanic & he confirmed what Steve stated above - the black and green bundle is the negative for the various accessories.

Back