I see why summer is the week of July 4 in Northern MI

Thanks ,Andy . That's the only thing I miss not living in Petoskey . I do not miss the leaves in the fall from over 100 Maple Tree's though .:D
I always thought when you say Indian River you meant Florida. Didn’t know there was one in MI.

I believe I have made it to the north. Crossed off a bucket list item and crossed the Mackinac Bridge and drove to the UP.

Even though the temps are the same today as yesterday, doesn’t seem as cold. I have been walking around without a jacket and I have kept my hands out of my pockets.
If you made it to the UP ,you made it to Northern MI . Too bad you didnt mention you were going to the UP . I could have told you about Clydes and where to get "Real Pasties " We are about 1 mile west of 1-75 and 25 miles South of the bridge

I always thought when you say Indian River you meant Florida. Didn’t know there was one in MI.
Click on the Indian River in my signature ,it will bring up a map . I do have relatives in the Indian River Florida area .

We are having a great time. Some differences we are seeing from NC are bigger lakes. Did I say bigger? Black dirt vs. red clay. Flat as a table for the most part.
Everyone we have talked with have been super nice. Definitely want to come back again. Not sure if we want summer or winter. .
Supposed to be in the low 40s as a low when we get home Wednesday. I should be prepared for it. Maybe a dip in the pool? No, hot tub, I’m not that Michigander yet.
It's been in the mid 70's. The day you guys come home, mid 50's and rain. Coincidence?!? Then 70's again ....Have a safe trip back!

If you made it to the UP ,you made it to Northern MI . Too bad you didnt mention you were going to the UP . I could have told you about Clydes and where to get "Real Pasties " We are about 1 mile west of 1-75 and 25 miles South of the bridge
We always used to stop at clydes over the bridge in the UP for a big C burger. The thing was massive...and delicious!

We always used to stop at clydes over the bridge in the UP for a big C burger. The thing was massive...and delicious!
Saw Clydes. Almost ate there. It was the second choice. We drove to the waterfront and and saw Mackinac Grill and sat on the back deck. They had one heck of a heater. Saw where they play “pond” hockey. One big pond. Lol.

Have to ask what are pasties? Saw signs for them. Figured they were a sticky cookie???

Went through Petoskey today. Linda discovered that is the home to Kilwins ice cream and chocolate. She always thought it originated in Boone, NC.
Kilwin's locations are franchised and can be found almost any place where tourists visit. We have one in my town.

Have to ask what are pasties? Saw signs for them. Figured they were a sticky cookie???

Simple answer is a Meat Pie .
1620740275627.png

Simple answer is a Meat Pie .
View attachment 29945

I guess that proves that you don’t know what you don’t know until you don’t know it! Linda Google it this morning and found out. She let me know that she had read about them and had wanted to try them but didn’t know what they were called. My fault again. Duh

Here's an article I wrote many years ago on the pasty.

Now I’m hungry!!! We made them here in Florida once but I over cooked them. I’ll have to try again now. We always stopped at a place in Cadillac on our way home from Glen Lake.

Now I’m hungry!!! We made them here in Florida once but I over cooked them. I’ll have to try again now. We always stopped at a place in Cadillac on our way home from Glen Lake.
Went through Cadillac. Could have tried them there too.

In the rare event I make them myself, I cheat and use the pre-made pie crusts from the store. Saves a bunch of time. The place in Cadillac is Mr. Foisies. We buy them by the dozen and keep them in the freezer. They are OK, but not as good as those made by actual Yoopers. For me, if there's not a visible chunk of rutabaga in every bite, it's just not authentic.

And... of course we must discuss this..... Gravy or catsup? ;-)

Gravy ! We make them , usually twice a year with another couple

Better be gravy with that pasty or I am going to worry about my dinning companies life choices. :D ;)

Back