Ice Watch

Pittsburgh

Commodore
Reaction score
A running cold spell has had the Lake Frozen since the cold set in during January.

With temps hitting -18 F at night the ice is thick. We have recently had a warming trend but the Lake is still frozen solid. Thought it would be interesting to see your lake and its progression toward Spring and being ice free. So here it is March 12th and the condition of the Lake...

117693004.jpg

117693008.jpg

Are you in the Frozen Tundra, when will your lake be Ice Free ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mowed day before yesterday and 2nd round of fertilizer today and primed the lake pump for irrigation (70's). Boating on Saturday.

Carl - I'm not even sure if there is any grass under our snow!  Had a couple of warm days here and have lost a lot of the snow, but still have about 1 foot.

Well the boys around here are still using extensions on the ice augers and still burying the motor! Yup, it'll be a while!

Neighbor drilled in the middle of the lake yesterday and it's still 18" thick, but it's starting to turn white which is a good thing.

Today, I was near the river we boat on and was very happy to see that the ice is gone.  Now, we are (anxiously) awaiting our new boat.  We are at week 6 out of a possible 8-10 weeks before it shows up.

Wow, so I only need 2 1/2 feet of ice to melt to get me equal to you guys! Man I LOVE Canada!! Haha

65 F In Pittsburgh 3/16

Could It Be True ?

Hoping for a major melt down !

The rest of the week back in the 40s and high 30s 

A much welcomed spring TEASE !

We are starting to get some water around the edge of our lake in spots. People were still out fishing on it though yesterday.

Should hit 66 here today. I know there is a cool down coming but this will help melt some ice!

68 here, but still 18" of ice out near the middle. The edges are starting to melt though :)

Once there is some open area wind and wave action should take over and break it up quick.

Ha ha...82 here today! I drove across the lake (Rathbun) Saturday, frozen. Today open water. Hooked up to the boat and pulled it down the road, no problem. Couldn't bring myself to break the seal. I'll just wait another month...

Here are a couple photos on how ours is progressing.

March 7th

7A3012B1-BB75-41EE-B8B3-C3CDD069135D_zpstvdg4mne.jpg

March 17th

F7542441-58BC-4D96-9F07-19997147003E_zpsuah0icxs.jpg

Wow, that is a big difference 

Here the snow is finally melting on the grass 

The Lake is seeing some improvements but may be frozen into Mid - April

117864183.jpg

117864176.jpg

117864173.jpg

Lake is at Full Capacity due to melting snow and rain 

Biggest concern is the dock after the melt down 

Next year I may be using a bubbler to keep ice away !

Looking forward to May 1st   :)

Back