Ignition Issue

Fudster

Member
Messages
9
Reaction score
3
Location
Grand Lake O' The Cherokees N/E Oklahoma
I have a 2012 2275 GCW with a Yamaha 150 that we bought new in 2012. I haven't started the engine for about 2 months. Yesterday I put some gas in and attempted to start the engine to make sure all is good. When turning the key nothing happened (it did not crank). The battery is good as all gauges, radio and and the horn all work. I attempted this about 10 times with nothing. I then sprayed some electronic cleaner in where the key goes for the ignition. Again I tried several and it finally cranked and started. I turned it off and it started again. I again turned it off and again it did not crank. Tried several other times and it started. I turned it off and tried to start it again and nothing happened but I wiggled the key and it started. Shut it off and again it wouldn't crank. I am guessing that my ignition switch is dirty or corroded or something. I'm pretty sure the ignition switch is faulty. I obviously will not go out in the boat until I get it fixed as I don't want to be stranded on the water. My question to the group is: Do you agree that it must be the ignition switch? If so, how do I change it and where can I get one? The small panel where you insert the key is about 4x2". Do I remove this panel to change the ignition switch through that panel or do I have to crawl into the area in front of and underneath the dash to attempt to change the switch (this looks very difficult). I want to attempt to do this myself if I can rather than borrowing a trailer and taking it to a dealer (if I can even get it started and driving it 10 miles to get to the dealer!)
HELP PLEASE!!!
 
Have you checked for loose wires under your helm ?
 
As you know it is very difficult to get to the switch under the helm but I have looked and felt under there and don't see any wire issues. I have contacted Partzilla and talked to an agent and he has the whole assembly including the cover/panel for $188 and it looks like that whole assembly can be replaced through that cover/panel.
 
Ignition switches for boats are pretty much generic , you can get one for about $20. I dont like to get under my helm either, but I would to save $160
 
Back
Top