In Floor Storage in Center Toon

KC_Steve

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on what can be used to help organize the center floor storage. I never thought I would complain that a storage compartment is too big... I am finding it very hard to keep it organized as the space is so massive. I thought about putting some totes in to help organize the space, but the opening is shallow, so would not allow for a very tall tote. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this and had any suggestions or solutions. I would like a space to store the ski's, and a place to store the bouys without having everything in one giant hole. Stuff goes in there now, and you have to get down on your knees and dance on your head to retrieve some items. :) Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Although I haven't purchased any yet, I plan to go to target and buy some of those large plastic storage tubs (they look like giant Tupperware containers) that come with lids. I'm going to get one for dock lines and tow ropes. One for my anchor and rode. One for miscellaneous stuff like air pumps, tools, etc.

I agree with you completely on how huge it is. I tell people looking at the boat that we hide the bodies in there. It is that big.

I have been thinking of going with some kind of divider system on mine. Haven't really figured out what to use though as plywood would have to be sealed. I was really thinking something that was inexpensive and not too labor intensive. Anyone have any ideas?

andy

I agree with you completely on how huge it is. I tell people looking at the boat that we hide the bodies in there. It is that big.

I have been thinking of going with some kind of divider system on mine. Haven't really figured out what to use though as plywood would have to be sealed. I was really thinking something that was inexpensive and not too labor intensive. Anyone have any ideas?

andy
I might once I finally get mine! Love trying to figure stuff out! Doesn't mean I'm good at it, just that I like thinking about it!

Derrick

I might once I finally get mine! Love trying to figure stuff out! Doesn't mean I'm good at it, just that I like thinking about it!

Derrick
My wife and I had the same issue with our 2012...I have been using plastic milk crates (her idea). They seem to be just the right size (with maneuvering) and they can be stacked. Another plus is that they allow any water to drain out.

Matt

My wife and I had the same issue with our 2012...I have been using plastic milk crates (her idea). They seem to be just the right size (with maneuvering) and they can be stacked. Another plus is that they allow any water to drain out.

Matt
Milk crates, good Idea! I am going to try that this weekend. Long weekend is around the corner with sun and high 20's (C deg.) Too bad the bugs are out!

While cleaning our new to us boat, I noticed that the plates in the center storage well were overlapping and not snapped down. I decided to look under and see how the compartment was built. Found 14 empty Miller Lite cans. The boat came from a Nashville Boat club. Somebody had a good day! Have no idea how long they were there. Cleaned that up and found that there is a sump pump under the plates. The hose had come off so it would never drain. It would be a idea to check your sump pump at the start of the season.

Thanks for everyone for the comments. I was thinking about the milk crates, just was not sure they would fit through the opening. I think that would work well if they do. I was also thinking about using that composite decking material that is made to replace CCA. I figured that would not get damaged or warp if it was wet, but was unsure about the weight that it would add. I plan to do some measuring this weekend and see just what I need. Thanks again for the ideas! Happy boating!

This is an excellent topic. The in-floor storage is huge....reminds me of the walk-in closet in our bedroom. Thinking about calling the closet factory for an organizer.

Not sure how much room there is, but...those under-bed storage units with the wheels on one end might be a solution.

If you want to build dividers or such, use Starboard. Comes in a couple different colors. It's the same light weight composite material they make hatches, radio boxes etc. You buy it by the sheet and cut to desired lengths. West Marine carries it. Big seller with the salty guys and the offshore fishing crowd. They make tables and bait station cutting Boards with it

Todd

Here's a quick thought, what about the mesh storage bags? Maybe not necessarily the one from Bennington, I've never seen it, but I thought it was for your playpen cover so it might be too big, but maybe not. You could put unneeded lifejackets in it or deflated water toys, shove them under and have a little carabiner thing to attach the cinch strings to so they don't slide all around. Just a thought from a guy who has never even seen an in tube storage yet! Haha

Derrick

I've never seen inside a center storage tube either, but this thought came to mind for TB:

Make a long round drum that fits inside the tube, that can spin. You could make compartments length-wise inside the drum (2, may be 3 compartments lengthwise). Make a door for each compartment. This would maximize use of the entire tube, and you wouldn't have to take everything out just to get something on the bottom. You'd just spin the drum around and open which ever hatch you need. If I'm not being clear, think of how the drum sits on a front-loading washer or dryer. Except instead of the door being on the front, you put the door on the top (the drum would still be on it's side) and you'd have a couple hatch doors in the sides of the drum. Put drain holes all over (like a washing machine drum).

Might be tough to make this work if there are plates in the bottom for the sump like Remediation stated in the post above, since that would make the space not round. Again, I've never seen the inside of one... Just a thought that came to mind as I was reading above.

I was able to play around with this storage this weekend and attempt to get things organized. I ended up using some clear totes that I placed all along one side, and then stored the skis lengthwise beside the totes. This will work, at least it is not all in just one big pile. It would be nice to have an integrated solution that was built in though, but this will work for now. I will take some pictures next weekend, forgot the phone when I was out on the boat this weekend.

Steve

Back