Installed a New Fuel Gauge and Sending Unit and still no readings as well as the Trim gauge?

AngryPossum

Reaction score
Hi All, I just replaced a new sending unit (Moeller) and a new (Sierra) fuel gauge, and I'm still not getting any gauge reading. There is voltage to the legs on the gauge, even the sending unit. What do I check now. Maybe a bad ground on the tank itself? My trim motor gauge isn't showing any levels either.

Further: These two gauges (The Fuel and Trim) on the top of my panel aren't functioning oddly, and the two below on the panel are. Both Volts and Temp Gauge.

If you have voltage from the battery lead to the gauge and a good ohm reading from the sender then the gauge should work. The fact that other gauges don't work definitely leads me to believe there is a grounding issue. Check all connections and clean, run continuity check if you can back to the battery to confirm no broken wires etc.

If you have voltage from the battery lead to the gauge and a good ohm reading from the sender then the gauge should work. The fact that other gauges don't work definitely leads me to believe there is a grounding issue. Check all connections and clean, run continuity check if you can back to the battery to confirm no broken wires etc.

I think so too, I'll check the ground to both gauges. If the ground is bad then I'll probably have fixed both gauges. 2 birds with one stone.

When I tried ohming out the new gauge and the old gauge that were both off of the tank and unattached, I wasn't getting any ohm readings at all. I went from the positive terminal from sending unit to the grounding plate and or ground tab. I still got nothing. The meter should be in ohms correct? And what ohm setting?

I fixed it, on the sending unit there are two nuts, the lower brass nut on the positive terminal of the sending unit that you would loosen to position the rheostat was loose and wasn't making a connection. Works now. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Back