Installing ACR with starter isolation feature

Hartbenny

Reaction score
My battery switch fell apart on our 2014 R series. Upgrading to a new switch and an Automatic Charging Relay with start isolation. My plotter and other electronics would reset/reboot frequently when starting the 200hp Yamaha. New switch and ACR have been installed. I now have to interface with the starter solenoids lead at the ignition or starter. Has anyone done this? There is no easy access under the boat because of the plates installed on the underside. Is it possible that this conductor is present in the bundles at the battery banks? Does this conductor run directly from the ignition to the starter solenoid?

The key switch wires are in a cable that runs directly to the motor. Pull the switch plate to gain access. You may have to remove the side facia plate to fish a wire to your new switch. Bennington does not make removing this easy.

The key switch wires are in a cable that runs directly to the motor. Pull the switch plate to gain access. You may have to remove the side facia plate to fish a wire to your new switch. Bennington does not make removing this easy.
The key switch run is longer and more difficult to fish. I was hoping to possibly interface at starter solenoid. I have already pulled the ignition and found the conductors to be tightly bundled. The conductor is very short prior to interfacing with a second harness. My searches indicate the conductor for the solenoid is yellow w red. Is this correct?

Do not know the color of that key wire going to your motor but it sounds like you are fully capable of confirming your search with a test light.

Thanks DVW. I'd like to have a boat like the one you have pictured. Only thing holding me back is it won't fit in my dock slip. There's one on Hartwell with twin Yamaha (420hp?), Flir infrared imaging, ....crazy stuff.

Thanks DVW. I'd like to have a boat like the one you have pictured. Only thing holding me back is it won't fit in my dock slip...
The boat in the little picture is a small twin tube SX22 with modest power. Just like you I like do-it-yourself projects.

Back