Interstate Batteries

kaydano

Reaction score
Anyone having trouble with short-lived or seemingly under-powered Interstate batteries?

We have a new one (6 months old) in a van that will go dead in about 20 minutes with just the key switch "on" (no other accessories or lights). It should go for hours like that. This has happened 2 or 3 times, and I had to jump it each time.

Our marina owner said he flushed the Interstate brand last year because they were having so many bad batteries returned and lots of irritated boat customers.

Did someone buy out the company recently and decide to make some quick bucks by running the reputation into the ground?

I have an Interstate on my zeroturn mower that's 5 years old and never been charged and never had a problem even after sitting for a few cold months.

Mostly looking to see if people are having problems with new batteries (1-2 years old)...

Bought an Interstate car battery for the wife's car last January, and in the middle of this summer it needed a jump because she left a .5 amp interior light on overnight. This Megatron II 750 CCA battery should have powered that single light for 2 or 3 days and still been able to start the car. Weak. I don't see "Made in China" on it - but I have to wonder.

As a diesel tech for the last 20 years I used only Interstate batteries for many years and the last few years quit buying them as they have become very expensive as does any company who starts sponsoring many sporting events. :rolleyes:

I have since shopped around for local companies who offer the best pro rated warranty on batteries and gone that route instead of brand names or cost. I have not been let down yet. I have found that the batteries at the locally owned parts jobbers have the best of both worlds, best price and best warranty coverage.

The second best place for battery and warranty is Sears believe it or not. I have not bought any from them as the price is a bit higher than local parts house but I would not rule them out.

Thanks for the responses. I will take it in for a load test. Not that another new one will be any better, but can't be worse. The one in our van was the first Interstate I've owned and currently have 3 of them. Always used Sears Die Hards before these 3. Not sure why I've used Sears, as I don't really like "crapman" tools. But I have had several 6-7 year old Die Hards. Maybe I will go back...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back