Intro and question

Aftonomos

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have been looking for a way to get the family out of the water and think I've found the solution with a pontoon boat. Young family of 4, all the kids are 8 and younger. We wanted space, smooth ride, and the ability to take some of our friends out (the adults?) As well.

Wanted to see if I'm looking at a fair deal on my first boat and some suggestions you might have.

2014 22ssx

Express toon

Strakes on all the toons

Yamaha 115

10' power pole.

Dual Batts

Changing station

Rear fish chairs, live well

Lowrance fish/depth finder

Saltwater series

Boat has 29 hours on it, dual axle trailer is included. Being sold on consignment from the dealer that sold it new. Dealer says I can buy a new one from him for 39k ++

Asking 33k.

Is 28k a fair price for the boat? It's clean, looks new, and has warranty until 2021 with the motor warranty until 2020. Stored on a trailer covered in a garage.

More than I was thinking I'd have to spend, but the warranty is nice, the boat is nice, and unless I'm just flat wrong it seems the first owner has already taken the big hit on depreciation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum.  Lots of knowledgeable people here.  Does the boat meet your needs?

1.  Are you going to fish?

2.  Do you plan on tubing with your kids?

3.  How long are you planning on keeping it before trading it in?

4.  How rough is the water you will be boating in and how big is the body of water?

5.  When you take out adults, how many are you talking about?

Everyone here will tell you to buy the biggest motor you can afford.  As your kids grow, if you're like me, you will want more power than a 115.  The rest I'll let others chime in on.

One thing for sure:  I wish I had purchased my boat when my kids were young.  It's great family time and a good way to get them off the grid.  You're making a wise decision.

Tom

If it is already rigged with a 115 and the dealer only has it on consignment I don't think upgrading the motor is cost effewctive or realistic.  As Noah said it is setup as a fishing boat is that how you are going to use it.  The last thing you want to do is spend $33k and they realize the boat doesn't really fit your needs as you wil end up regretting it, dealing with a severe case of PADS and then end up spending a lot more than you would have if you did it right the first time.

If pulling towables is important now or in the next few years then I would forget this boat and start over with a 150hp 

1.  Are you going to fish?

2.  Do you plan on tubing with your kids?

3.  How long are you planning on keeping it before trading it in?

4.  How rough is the water you will be boating in and how big is the body of water?

5.  When you take out adults, how many are you talking about?

Best I could:

1 - some of the best memories I have with my late father is fishing with him (from a pier).  I'd like to make more of those with all the kids

2 - I'm primarily going to use the boat in/around tomka basin/new smyrna beach, mosquito lagoon, ponce inlet area.   The oldest kiddo is 8, the youngest wont be joining us on the boat for at least awhile (3 months).   Given the amount of boat traffic and narrow maneuvering area of the river I don't anticipate doing much if any tubing.   There are tons of little islands with wildlife around here that the kids will like to explore.  I also do stand up paddleboard and would like to take those along.  Wife has no interest but the kids do....she can lay around on the boat and listen to music while I paddle around by JB's fish camp.

3 - No idea....my first boat! :) .   I'm hoping that if I buy a quality boat I can at least keep it until the warranty is up (or longer! )  Having the newest/best isn't super important to me.

4 - The area of the river I want to operate in can get some light chop if/when the wind comes in.  I test drove a deckboat and wasn't impressed with the ride at all....went out on a larger starcraft SCX that was great....but it was 50-60K and out of my current budget.

5- maybe 6-7 people total. (3 couples)

Dunno on the warranty...I'm just hearing what the selling dealer is telling me but I will look into it for sure.

Is the selling dealer a "Bennington" dealer ?

If so they should be aware of the warranty .

If you have a concern about the length of the warranty ,

have him put it writing on the bill .

I'm not try to talk you out of it, just be aware .

I had the same type of  issue when selling my 2013 ,I thought I could transfer to the balance of the  7 years to the new owner .

http://media.wix.com/ugd/208b46_42ddbaff6bce482abba05e76a676cf06.pdf

From the warranty page 

"Original retail purchasers of 2013 and newer product who also elect to join Club Bennington at time of retail registration (or are existing Club Bennington members) are entitled to Seven (7) years of stem to stern coverage. In the event a warranty transfer occurs the remaining balance of the standard Five (5) year warranty will apply (see details below). The warranties listed below are transferable to a second owner during the warranty period. A warranty transfer is required through an authorized Bennington dealer. Five (5) year limited carpet and fabric warranty. Warranted from failure due to fading, peeling or cracking for a period of five (5) years warranty shall include replacement materials and or labor, based upon an inspection by a qualified Bennington representative. Excessive deterioration caused by overexposure to the sun as a result of improperly covering the boat may be excluded from this warranty. Damage caused by rips, tears, snags and unraveling or other abuse is not covered under this warranty. Five (5) year limited Bimini top fabric warranty. Warranted against excessive loss of color or strength under normal exposure conditions. Five (5) year component parts warranty. Including radios, gauges and depth finders not manufactured by Bennington. Five (5) year warranty on all other items not specifically addressed above"

I hear you, and I appreciate the heads up/education. It's why I took to google/net in the first place as I know there are always a ton of things you learn afterwards.  First house, first car, etc.   I know there will still be more to learn but I'm hoping to eliminate as much as I can.   :)

You will be happy with your purchase New Or Used .

Its a Bennington .

Lots of Good information here .

Now is the time to ask all of your questions .

We are Real Good at spending other peoples money .

Paid $32k for mine at the end of 2011, including trailer.  That was with the 115 which I later traded up to a 150.  See specs below.  I'd say $28k is a good deal!  I assume no extended deck or ski/tow bar.

Do you know why it was traded in after only 29 hours?  That's not much time for someone to figure out they didn't want it...

Unfortunately the previous owner has some serious health issues and is trying to unload any debts he has before the inevitable happens.  I frigging hate C and wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

I did ask the dealer about upgrading to a 150 but have not heard back.  Thought I had read somewhere you had to have the full center toon to do that but this boat has the express (3/4?)

Correct, no ski bar or extended deck. 

On some models you can have a 150 on an express .

Once you get into upgrading a motor .It may be more cost effective to buy new .

Is the dealer in NSB on the North Causeway? If so, we bought our Benny from him and they are very good and knowledgeable. As for the boat, while we keep ours out in Deland and on the St. John, we have spent a lot of time on the Intracoastal around Ponce Inlet, and the type and size of boat is perfect for that area. While most will tell you to get a 150 (we have it on our boat) you will be OK with the 115 in the areas you boat in. You are limited to speeds lower than you will be capable of anyways. I do like the 150 because even with the more power, it is very economical and tends to not be highly stressed with its power reserve, and the way we use ours. However, the great majority of pontoon boats in your environment have even less than the 115 the boat in question is equipped with. I do not think that you can put a 150 on that boat anyways.

Buy the boat. A year from now, if it's not exactly what you want, you will be able to get all or most of your money back.

Are the life vests, anchors, lines, etc available from the same guy?

Thanks for the advice everyone!   I put in an offer and it was accepted.  Just waiting now until Monday to have the check cut and should be on the water this coming weekend :)

Tooner - Yessir, that is the dealer.  You are also correct, 115hp is the max on that hull.

We will have to buy vests, lines, other safety gear etc.  I'm thinking I need a few more items as well.  I'm sure we will need to modify/improve the boat along the way and this forum is full of a ton of info!

Congrats. You'll love it. Bunnies are great boats.

Brian

Yep, life is short. Glad you bought the boat. Great family times ahead! Congrats.

Back