iPhone/Smart Phone Overheating

Noah Genda

Reaction score
So you're cruising along on a beautiful sunny day.  You're streaming/USB'g your favorite tunes.  All of a sudden, no music.  And upon further review, your phone is medium rare and shut down.

Does anyone have a slick solution - I know this sounds lame - to protect your phone from overheating and yet be readily accessible to get all those sexting messages from your girlfriends?   :D

Hi, I have had that same problem with my iPod.  On our previous boat we had a glove box that I would put it into and that seemed to help.  Maybe a box or something to get it out of the sun.

Believe it or not they can take a lot of temperature. What they cannot take is direct sunlight temperature. Placing a white napkin or paper towel will prevent it even on the hottest days from overheating and airflow is important. Your phone starts to save itself around 113 degrees. Try to take it out of the case and remember black cases absorb the most heat.

I keep mine in the helm port side cup holder. Some sun hits it, but not much. Especially if the Bimini is up.

solution: have the girls on the boat already so they dont have to sext you. as for the phone, just throw it in a storage compartment, the signal shouldnt be diminished.

I put my ipod in a cup holder and throw a cheap coozy over it.

I just put mine on the floor at my feet. Elevated helm so it won't slide under the rail, plus carpet and the case pretty much keep it from moving at all, and I like to bank my boat lots!!! Hehe 

So you're cruising along on a beautiful sunny day.  You're streaming/USB'g your favorite tunes.  All of a sudden, no music.  And upon further review, your phone is medium rare and shut down.

Does anyone have a slick solution - I know this sounds lame - to protect your phone from overheating and yet be readily accessible to get all those sexting messages from your girlfriends?   :D
It is the sexting that is heating up your phone :)

I put it on the floor at my feet and cover it with a shirt

solution: have the girls on the boat already so they dont have to sext you. as for the phone, just throw it in a storage compartment, the signal shouldnt be diminished.
You read my mind. Using root cause analysis the problem is the girls are not on the boat. The hot phone is a symptom of the real issue.

(I use the cup holder) If it is on the floor in a towel etc. I could see someone grabbing it and opening it up and plunk into the water it goes. Then my wife would call me an idiot for leaving it on the floor.

You're on the lake...just dip it in the water every so often to cool it down. :D

On the helm close to the floor  http://www.amazon.com/Bhbuy-Gripgo-Navigation-Storage-Universal/dp/B00SZVVT3I/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1428142505&sr=8-8&keywords=gripgo

61qAogr%2BeEL._SL1000_.jpg

Back