IS 90 HP. TOO SMALL FOR SSLX24?

Sebagobrew

Reaction score
Just purchased my first toon. I have had a lot of good boats but this is our first adventure with lake islands. It is a new double toon 25" SSLX24 with a 90 Suzuki. Reading postings that are saying that 23mph is a pretty standard response for this set up. Dealer was thinking it would do 26. I think I trust you guys cause you are on the water with these rigs. Will a 115 get me up to 26 or so? Hate getting in rough water with only a slow way home. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 115hp on an RCW with same tubes. I top out at 25-26 mph with a light load. Then again, my boat is currently running factory prop which was never the right size for my boat.

Congrats on your new boat!

"Lake island"... Not heard that one before. Still working on the name for our boat, and I've been stuck for a while, but that one opens the door to some new name possibilities. Gives me something to think about. iToon was the last thing someone posted here that really got my attention. iSland??? iLand? Lake iLand? I like the "iLand" word to come first, but not sure if there's a word that might come after it... Someone here will have an idea. These guys here are great at that.

I have the 24 SSL with a 115. I get 35 mph with express package (which is the shorter center toon) and strakes on both sides of all three tubes, and with 3 adults, 1 kid, 3/4th tank of gas. I wish there was a grid or matrix showing various setups and motors and speeds, but there is not. It would have been useful when I was deciding what to purchase. I'm planning on making that kind of matrix for this site next winter. Hopefully there's enough real world posts/data to do that by then. Still waiting for someone with my exact same setup, but with a 150 motor, to post their results. There are a couple on this board that have that setup, but are waiting for spring so they can do a GPS test. My guess is they would be just over 40.

Not encouraging, I think the 90 is a short round. I have to make a phone call in the morning.

Congrats on your new boat!

"Lake island"... Not heard that one before. Still working on the name for our boat, and I've been stuck for a while, but that one opens the door to some new name possibilities. Gives me something to think about. iToon was the last thing someone posted here that really got my attention. iSland??? iLand? Lake iLand? I like the "iLand" word to come first, but not sure if there's a word that might come after it... Someone here will have an idea. These guys here are great at that.

I have the 24 SSL with a 115. I get 35 mph with express package (which is the shorter center toon) and strakes on both sides of all three tubes, and with 3 adults, 1 kid, 3/4th tank of gas. I wish there was a grid or matrix showing various setups and motors and speeds, but there is not. It would have been useful when I was deciding what to purchase. I'm planning on making that kind of matrix for this site next winter. Hopefully there's enough real world posts/data to do that by then. Still waiting for someone with my exact same setup, but with a 150 motor, to post their results. There are a couple on this board that have that setup, but are waiting for spring so they can do a GPS test. My guess is they would be just over 40.
Thanks for the info.and a great post. Calling for a 115hp in the morning. Try, iland-brez Sounds exotic.

The 115 should get you over 25 pretty easy. A lot depends on conditions and load. One of the tube upgrades could be a great option if you absolutely need more speed.

Steve

Just purchased my first toon. I have had a lot of good boats but this is our first adventure with lake islands. It is a new double toon 25" SSLX24 with a 90 Suzuki. Reading postings that are saying that 23mph is a pretty standard response for this set up. Dealer was thinking it would do 26. I think I trust you guys cause you are on the water with these rigs. Will a 115 get me up to 26 or so? Hate getting in rough water with only a slow way home. Thanks.
Always buy the most HP you can afford when you buy your boat.

22-23 with the 90hp outboard is pretty much on the money and going up to a 115 will get you somewhere around another 3mph.

Personally, I think the 150 is the best choice for a boat with two traditional pontoons. Any bigger and you get rapidly diminishing returns.

One of the engine builders has a 135 horse outboard... I forget which, although depending on where your boat is in the build process, you may have rigging issues.

Oh and, don't forget to at least think about two strokes. The modern ones you buy now are vastly different from the ones you remember.

One other thing...

Power steering is your friend, especially as you go bigger. Just a suggestion.

Eric, I have always been confused by what can or cannot be added as an aftermarket part. I bought a leftover 2011RLi off the dealers floor. I have spoken with one of the members here off-line and now know that I can add the underwater shield and a third pontoon to my two 25" toons if I am not happy with the boats performance. Can the same be said for the power steering.

Just hoping my inexpierence didn't result in being foolish by purchasing a leftover that I couldn't even test drive in the winter. I have learned so much from this forum that perhaps I should have waited - learned - custom built.

I'm liking iLand-brez... I thought you wrote iLand-brews when I first read it, which would work too!

It was mentioned above, but you may want to strongly reconsider tube options. Not sure if a full-sized center tube is an option on the SSL. It's not in "build a boat". Just Express. When I bought our boat, I assumed Express was the only tri-toon option. I may be wrong, and you might be able to do a special order, but you might ask. Costs nothing to ask. Strakes help with speed too...

Our 115 is hard to steer (no hydraulics). But, our "lake" is a 15 mile reservoir made by a dammed river. So, for us, going straight (with some gentle turns) is more the norm. If we were on a smaller "round" lake where I'd for sure have to turn a lot, I might have added some steering assist from the beginning, and I may add that down the road, but it can be added easy enough later (far as I know).

New member just posted in Props & Power his toon is a 2075SLi with a 90hp, is that close to your setup

Our 115 is hard to steer (no hydraulics). But, our "lake" is a 15 mile reservoir made by a dammed river. So, for us, going straight (with some gentle turns) is more the norm. If we were on a smaller "round" lake where I'd for sure have to turn a lot, I might have added some steering assist from the beginning, and I may add that down the road, but it can be added easy enough later (far as I know).
Adding a SeaStar hydraulic steering helm to your boat is a nice option, but it won't really make the steering any easier. What hydraulic steering does for you is eliminate steering wheel torque, which is much needed with the higher hp motors. Adding the SeaStar power assist unit to the SeaStar hydraulic helm is the only way to get "one finger" power steering. Either one or both can be added later. Once you drive a boat with the hyd./power assist, you'll have it on your own soon after. Especially if you pull tubers.

A Suzuki DF115 (which is an over-achiever) will put you closer to 28-30 mph. Suzuki also offers a DF140. IMO if you can afford it now, get a DF150. Better to buy HP now than wish you had later.LOL

The SSLX24 has 22'6" tubes, so the std length center tube of the 22'Performance Pkg (22'6') should bolt right up. Or go the less expensive route with an Express Tube Pkg. Or.....spend big money and get the ESP. Either way, 3 is better than 2 !!!

Eric, I have always been confused by what can or cannot be added as an aftermarket part. I bought a leftover 2011RLi off the dealers floor. I have spoken with one of the members here off-line and now know that I can add the underwater shield and a third pontoon to my two 25" toons if I am not happy with the boats performance. Can the same be said for the power steering.
You can DO pretty much anything you want.

There's an old joke in Drag Racing:

"How fast can you go? Well, how much money ya got?"

Don't regret purchasing a left-over...

You still get out on the lake.

If I were you, I would talk to the marina and see what your "power-up" options are. Can't hurt to ask, right?

If a power-up option isn't available, just do what a LOT of people do.

Enjoy the boat this season, which is pretty much getting underway right now if you're in the southern part of the country, and then trad in on a left-over 2012 next year. Or a 2013...

There are very few choices in life that are a one time thing.

If the 90hp was an "in stock" motor, swapping out for more HP shouldn't be a huge issue........at least not for a larger dealership. Even if it were to cost a few hundred in labor, pay it. Cheaper to take the hit and do it now than a year or so down the road when the depreciation sets in.

Seriously? Hydraulic steering doesn't make it any easier to turn?

Seriously? Hydraulic steering doesn't make it any easier to turn?
Nope, just easier to hold once you get it there I'm told. That's what my dealer said when I was going to add it to my current setup. Was going to add the Express center tube as well, now I'm just buying a new boat with power steering and ESP!! Haha I laugh, but the wallet says ouch!

Derrick

Nope, just easier to hold once you get it there I'm told. That's what my dealer said when I was going to add it to my current setup. Was going to add the Express center tube as well, now I'm just buying a new boat with power steering and ESP!! Haha I laugh, but the wallet says ouch!

Derrick
I wanted easy steering for water sports. Hydraulic (assist) is just a methodology of turning the motor back and forth and in this case it uses fluid flow instead of cables albeit smoother than bad cables.

To get the true one finger steering you need to add the power steering option.

While hydraulic steering is not 1 finger steering, I can say it is MUCH easier to steer with it. I tested my current rig without it and decided it was a minimum must have. Added the seastar and will attest that it makes a huge difference. Of course that is only my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Hydraulic steering DEFINITELY makes it easier to steer.

Hydraulic steering DEFINITELY makes it easier to steer.
Maybe one finger is an exageration. Perhaps one hand would be apt.

It would be interesting then to have a voice of experience weigh in on the following steering experience with the same boat (size) and motor:

Cable

Hydraulic Steering

Power Assist Hydraulic Steering

The underbody would make a difference so each type would need to be reflected to really do things up right.

The reason I say this is that during the sales talk with the Bennington Salesperson at a boat show and at the point where we were talking about a 22 GL tri 115 with cable steering, he indicated that there was such little difference between the two (cable vs. hydraulic), as to not be worth the $$.

It became a non-issue as we moved to the 150 hp and selected the hydraulic with power assist. That said there is a statement on the Bennington build it yourself site.

"Attention: CSI survey results indicate steering ease/difficulty as a major factor in a customer's overall satisfactionwith their boat. By declining this option (Power Assist Steering) with an ESP package and engine 150hp and above, expect two-handed maneuvering and increased effort to turn the boat."

The check box must be turned on, "power assist sterring DECLINE". So is a big enough deal as to provide a CYA "check box".

I'd have liked to have your sales rep ride on my boat to compare for themselves. It made a huge difference. Definitely worth the $1000 or so upgrade.

Back