Is an annual oil change necessary?

Reaction score
I put 37 hours on my new Mercury 90/Bennington this season. Do I really need to change the oil, fuel filter and oil filter? Can I just add stabilizer to the fuel and call it a day?

I would ,it doesn't hurt . I have mine done every fall . ( I dont get to 100 hr per year ) Did you do the 20 hour service ?

This is my oil at 60 hours. I would absolutely change it annually at the minimum (depending on the length of your season, you may want to change more often). My lower unit lube was beautiful, but you need to change it see if there is any water intrusion or excessive metal shavings. The fuel filter I'm not so sure about - it looked great when I replaced it, but for a couple bucks, why not?
20211004_132107.jpg

I change mine every fall when the season is over.... Also the lower unit grease and fuel/water separator....

This is my oil at 60 hours. I would absolutely change it annually at the minimum (depending on the length of your season, you may want to change more often). My lower unit lube was beautiful, but you need to change it see if there is any water intrusion or excessive metal shavings. The fuel filter I'm not so sure about - it looked great when I replaced it, but for a couple bucks, why not?
View attachment 31378

Back