Is there a Taller seat post available?

Wild and Free

Reaction score
I am wondering if there is a taller seat post for my 2011 GCW? I am a bigger man at 6'3" and 265. The seat is just short enough for it to be uncomfortable to drive long distances the captains chair itself is comfy. I find my knees up near my arm pits when sitting in the cahir normally " Not quite But its fun to exagerate :p " .

Just wondering if there is a taller post or if I need to start modifying things to get the seat up about 2 inches higher at minimum.

Anyone else find this to be an issue?

I am wondering if there is a taller seat post for my 2011 GCW? I am a bigger man at 6'3" and 265. The seat is just short enough for it to be uncomfortable to drive long distances the captains chair itself is comfy. I find my knees up near my arm pits when sitting in the cahir normally " Not quite But its fun to exagerate :p " .

Just wondering if there is a taller post or if I need to start modifying things to get the seat up about 2 inches higher at minimum.

I'd have to look at my seat base to see the brand, but on mine the seat does have an adjuster for forward and back...

Most seats go up and down, and backwards/forwards.

If you do decide you need to mod it because there isn't a ready-made solution, just detach the seat from the boat and take it to a machine shop so they can make something from you out of steel or aluminum.

Yeah, I'm the first guy to reach for lumber to fix everything, but the boat environment is harsher than you think.

Oh, when you paint it you want to get a rattle can of "Tractor & Implement Enamel".

I don't know what they put in that stuff, but man... it is the next best thing to professional powdercoating.

Just hang the part from it's bolt holes, hose it down with brake cleaner fluid and after 5 minutes wipe it dry with a clean diaper or other lint free cloth. That enamel will stick like Lindsay Lohan to a bottle of Scotch.

Yes, I have the same issue.

I started to look in to it as a project last winter, but never got around to doing anything. The seat posts (and bases) are made by springfield, and yes, there are different height posts available. I know this because I ordered my boat with the raised helm so the driver would have a little bit of a height advantage looking over those seated up front. What I didn't know is with the raised helm, they put a shorter seat post on it than they do on the same seats up front, so they are effectively the same height. :blink:

I initially thought about swapping the seat setup with one of the two up front, but now I also need a new swivel handle as I broke one off, so I may just order an entire seat assembly and use half of it to fix that, and the post and bottom in the place of the captains chair. My only question is how are they secured, lag bolted to the deck, or through bolted to the underside? With the full under deck splash shield I can't see them. If they are through bolted, I will have to do a whole bunch of disassembling to get to the bottom side to do the swap.

My wife is 5'10" and she says it could be higher also. If I go the route of modifying it myself it would be made of metal. My seat has no vertical adjustment only swivel and fore and aft. I will shop around to see what Springfielsd has and what they want for seat base/post. When I sit with my knees above my pelvis for extended periods of time my legs and feet go numb. If I stretch out It is equally uncomfortable because then its a long reach for the steering wheel. Time to cut another slab off the cheese block to go along with my wine. :D

Hey guys, check out West Marine, they offer adjustable height seat pedestals from Swivl-Eze that might fit your needs.
Overtons has the same one 10 bucks cheaper, But I found this one which is what I think Is a better deal 3 position 12.75-15.75 highMy link

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I finally pulled the trigger on the Seat base from Overtons in my last post and had the dealer install it while they were replacing the right side panels from last falls hail storm. The lowest setting is just the perfect height for me now and is about an inch higher than the factory base. I have about 8 inches of up on this bad boy, it has 7 positions from bottom to top, I can sit it up to about bar stool height now. :p

Most seats go up and down, and backwards/forwards.

If you do decide you need to mod it because there isn't a ready-made solution, just detach the seat from the boat and take it to a machine shop so they can make something from you out of steel or aluminum.

Yeah, I'm the first guy to reach for lumber to fix everything, but the boat environment is harsher than you think.

Oh, when you paint it you want to get a rattle can of "Tractor & Implement Enamel".

I don't know what they put in that stuff, but man... it is the next best thing to professional powdercoating.

Just hang the part from it's bolt holes, hose it down with brake cleaner fluid and after 5 minutes wipe it dry with a clean diaper or other lint free cloth. That enamel will stick like Lindsay Lohan to a bottle of Scotch.
Thought you were dead Eric. Welcome back!

Oops. That post is almost 2 years old.

Back to dead, I guess.

Oops. That post is almost 2 years old.

Back to dead, I guess.
He is still lurking in the shadows, his last logged in activity was a week ago 5-11-2013 according to his profile.

Hope Eric starts posting again, Very knowledgeable and respected his opinions

Back