Just ordered

Zowie

Reaction score
Just ordered a 2275 GCW . Any opinions on the dual battery system? Thinking of adding it.

Congrats on the boat! Have the same one being built at present. I did think of dual batteries but can't think of why I would need it. If you plan on running lots of electronics with the motor off, it would be a smart move.

Excellent choices!!! We just got our special ordered 2275GCW less than 2 weeks, I can tell you that youre gonna love your new boat! We got the dual batteries, probably overkill but better safe than sorry. They are great for boats with large stereos or electronics or people who may beach or raft up for long periods with the radio on.

I have always had dual batteries on my boat except for the new Benny. I oreder it with a single battery. The second weekend out someone left the accesory switch on :eek: I went to the ramp, put the boat in and no power :angry: . Luckly a friend was putting his boat in at the same time and was able to jump start me. At the 20 hr service I had the second battery with a Perko switch added. Since then I have had the switch left on again, so the second battery saved the day. For some reason the accesory switch keeps getting bumped when we clean up at the end of the day. Anyway IMHO the second battery is well worth the money :D

I also like the two battery setup. It's great insurance when playing the radio while rafting and not having to worry whether you have the juice you need. Or leaving the power accessory on like others have mentioned.

I have had dual batteries on every boat I have owned. From 26 foot center console with twin engine (4 batteries) to a walk around cuddy with single engine with 2 batteries, to my curent 18 foot lund fishing boat and my 2275 RCW. You will never loose value with 2 batteries and it comes in handy especially if you set at anchor playing stereo or hang out for long periods with engine off.

Cheap insurance. Tough to get a tow truck to the water for a jump start

Mhy $0.02 worth

Todd

having a 2nd battery is alot cheaper than paying for the towboat guys to come get you. also could you imagine getting family and friends together to go out on boat and boom dead battery. having a 2nd battery and being able to flip a switch is worth every penny! just my 2 cents : ) which is also better than 1 cent

Just ordered a 2275 GCW . Any opinions on the dual battery system? Thinking of adding it.
I have it and it saved me several times. I keep the switch on 1&2 while cruising and switch to one side or the other while sitting. Originally I wasn't plugging the boat in at the trickle charger and I was doing a lot of night swimming with cup lights, accent lights, swim platform lights, and stereo all going. I thought cruising around would be enough to charge it but apparently I was sitting more than cruising. The boat would start ok but if I hit the trim button while cruising the engine would shut down. I had to change my swim trunks after that. The dealer said my battery had drained down too low, and the trim was too big of a drain while cruising. Sure enough switching to the other side fixed it and I now plug in after use.

Butchkid, check out a "voltage sensing relay". It takes away the need to switch the batteries. It senses charging voltage and ties the batteries together. When stopped it gets just 12 volts and seperates them. If you check my gallery photos I think I have a pic of my dual battery set-up and the small device by the battery switch is the relay. Steve

Here's another option. I bought a 12 volt jump box. I carry it on board. I have a single battery set up and listened to tunes all summer long. No dead battery, but if it had been, I was prepared. Plus, I have used it many times to jump start other toys. Do know, however, to keep it charged. I had to jump my big boat and it wasn't sufficently charged for the job. Had to be towed; my Bennie did the job! ;)

Stanley Jump Box

That jump box is a an interesting alternative. Hadn't thought of that.

How often do you have to charge it to keep it topped off?

I have one too, a motomaster "nautical" one. It actually has the red and green lights on it just in case the boats stops working, I can open the front gate and set it there as my marker lights. I use it to pump up my tubes and stuff as well since it has a plug on it. I've filled a couple tubes and barely brought the voltage down. It holds a charge for quite a while too. Comes with a nice led flashlight that plugs into the cigarette receptacle, and I think it has a USB charger built in too.

That jump box is a an interesting alternative. Hadn't thought of that.

How often do you have to charge it to keep it topped off?
Depends on how often you draw it down. I think I charged mine back up 2 or 3 times over the summer.

Thanks for the comments. I ordered the dual battery set up. Boat was built on 11/10 the dealer is picking it up 11/21. Plan on taking a look at it after Thanksgiving. It is going to be a long winter waiting to get it in theater in May. I will post a pic or two later.

Thanks for the comments. I ordered the dual battery set up. Boat was built on 11/10 the dealer is picking it up 11/21. Plan on taking a look at it after Thanksgiving. It is going to be a long winter waiting to get it in the water in May. I will post a pic or two later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back