Kicker KMC10 Stereo Questions

Alicedream

Reaction score
I updated to Kicker KMC10 Stereo with my new Bennington that I will be taking delivery on in a couple of weeks.  I was disappointed when I learned that KMC10 was not Siriusxm compatible. First, I want to make sure that is accurate that it is not compatible? I have Siriusxm on my current Benny and my wife and I love it. I  would be fine with KMC10 if my phone had better reception on our lake, but unfortunately that is not the case and I don't think we would be able stream Pandora easily because of reception.  I did some research and learned that the KMC20 is Siriusxm compatible. It looks identical to the KMC10.  My question is this should be a very easy install of KMC20....correct?  The switch out of the monitor should be easy. You would just have to add the satellite attenna I would think. My dealer is not interested in doing this for me. I would appreciate any thoughts on the quality of the KMC10 and the ease of the upgrade to the 20.

We have the kcm10 and it's a great stereo.  We have a portable Sirius radio that works great and much cheaper to put in than the upgrade and it's portable from the boat to the travel trailer

One of the reasons I would like to maintain Siriusxm is I bought a life time subscription for the boat 10 years ago and I can transfer to the new boat so there is no cost. I paid one time fee of $300 10 years ago and never have to pay again if can get Siriusxm on new boat.

One of the reasons I would like to maintain Siriusxm is I bought a life time subscription for the boat 10 years ago and I can transfer to the new boat so there is no cost. I paid one time fee of $300 10 years ago and never have to pay again if can get Siriusxm on new boat.

Mine was $275 about 11 years ago . At the time I also  bought a portable unit that will play in the car ,house and a boom box .I can also play on the boat ,through the fm modulation or a cord .

Side note ,on my  fm while out on the lake , I could not get the local station that broadcasts the baseball games that I listen too .

I called Sirius ,ask if I could add the baseball package ,they said it was $100 . I asked if that was per year ?

No just a one time payment to add it to my current subscription ,added it on the spot 

Hmm, any idea if they still offer life time subscriptions? Used to have Sirius on our bowrider and loved it. Wouldn't mind figuring out a way to do it on our Benny. I wonder if you can get a life time plan for a car...  Might have to give them a ring!

I am not positive but I think you still can get a lifetime.  It is not as easy to transfer it to a new vehicle/boat so you need to inquire about that.

I was told they do . I believe around $600 last I heard .I am allowed 3 transfers ,$75 each . That is why I bough the portable unit 11 years later I have not  used any of the 3 yet .

Here is their number 1866-635-5027 

The KMC10 is not Sirius ready. I'm not 100% sure but I believe you have to go to the KMC20 for that option. 

I changed out the KMC 10 for the KMC 20 to get Sirius built in. You have to buy a $30.00 tuner to make it work and install the antenna. It is plug and play and same mounting holes for head unit.. You do have to mount a control box, but there is plenty of room under the helm next to the amp. When installed looks like Bennington put it in. I just wanted a factory look and it was easy to do. You also get extra inputs with the KMC 20 and 2 zones if you need them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told they do . I believe around $600 last I heard .I am allowed 3 transfers ,$75 each . That is why I bough the portable unit 11 years later I have not  used any of the 3 yet .

Here is their number 1866-635-5027 

Jack, thank for the info! Decisions, decisions...

Well worth the money back then .Dont know what they charge per month now ,I would still think lifetime is the way to go 

We have the car kit that plugs into the aux of the Sony radio, this is in a 2013 stock Sony radio.  If you order mostly music, the cheapest package they have, it's $10 a month and what we have.  Love it!  Wouldn't be without it.

I have found a place to install the KMC20. It will be the first thing I do when I get new boat next week! Really looking forward to having the Siriusxm. It was a great investment 10 years ago and I did because normally you don't trade in boats often.  That was until the PADS virus started spreading.  :)

Picked up new 2275 GL and had Kicker KMC20 installed. Working great! Splash the new boat early tomorrow.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Picked up new 2275 GL and had Kicker KMC20 installed. Working great! Splash the new boat early tomorrow.

View attachment 1436

View attachment 1435

Did you install it or your dealer?  I would like to do the same thing with that same unit for the same reason as you.  We have the default kmc2 but since it is round i didnt think it would fit without cutting the helm and I'm not sure I want to do that.  What is that in the cupholder spot?

My dealer would not install it so I had a audio place that works on marine equipment installs. On my helm there was no cup holder in that spot. What you see there is a marine model siriusxm antenna. Lastly,I don't think you will have a problem with mounting with the round unit you have as the back KMC10 unit is round. I will take a picture of it and post it.

I put photo in gallery.  

I put photo in gallery.  

Thank you for the pic.  It looks simple enough.  We dont have a place around that would install it, dealer might but didnt ask.  I'm hoping I can do this myself as long as most of it is plug n play.  I'll have to look under the helm and see how everything is hooked up.  Thanks again for the info!

I'll pipe in.

I opted for the Onyx with car kit.  When we aren't on the boat, I put the whole thing in a gallon ziplock and throw it under the console.  When I take it out, I have all the wires secured with vecro, and the dock velcroed to an old Garmin GPS beanbag mount.  I set that in front of the fuel gauge, plug in the power and audio and the receiver up under the little windscreen.  Great reception even when I'm in the lift or with the bimini up.

Yeah, I would've preferred having it built into the stereo...but this was a fairly decent and cheap alternative.  Plus, I can bring the radio up to the cabin and use it there with the home docking kit.

Back