Kill Switch issue

Kegonsa

Reaction score
Has anyone had a kill switch fail? My engine won't start with a full charged battery. The dash volt meter drops to as low as it can go when I turn the ignition, which looks like the coil is being grounded. That makes me wonder if the kill switch always "killing." I assume that the proper position is with the switch pulled out slightly, and the lanyard slipped under the ring to hold it out.

Is there an easy way to check if it is the kill switch? To bypass it do I short it or disconnect it?

Any other suggestions?

I know this may sound silly, but are you certain your throttle is in the neutral position?

I know this may sound silly, but are you certain your throttle is in the neutral position?
Thanks. It was in neutral. (I wondered if there was a problem with the linkage, and also tried to start it in gear, just to see if it sounded the same. When in gear there is no start sound - not even one click).

I have a yamaha F115, and found the owners manual. There it says that if the starter operates, but engine does not start, it could be a kill switch problem. The starter does not operate for me, all I get is one or two clicks, so I'm thinking it isn't the kill switch.

Any thoughts?

You can test the kill switch with a volt meter if you can get to the back of it, it should have 12v. on both terminals with the lanyard attatched,and the key in the run position, and 12v on only one with the lanyard removed. Although since the volt gauge drops so low, it could be a bad battery or bad connection, have you had the battery load tested? And have you cleaned and tightened the battery cable ends?

Ok i was away from my computer in the middle of my last post, if you are getting a click, them you are dropping voltage to the starter or the starter solenoid is bad.

Ok i was away from my computer in the middle of my last post, if you are getting a click, them you are dropping voltage to the starter or the starter solenoid is bad.
Thanks for your suggestions. The problem was the positive battery terminal needed to be cleaned and tightened - so simple I'm kicking myself for not trying it first.

(The click was the solenoid, but there was not enough contact on the starter cable to turn the starter).

I'm sold on this blog. It's saved me twice in as many weeks. Betting it would have cost me hundreds for five dollars in parts and a little patience.

Back