L or LX ?!

David6801

Reaction score
So they tell me that the New L was the S premium, and LX was the G model. However the L have a kick lights on the floor, the LX does not have any floor light! That sucks!!
I have go different information from different dealers. Some says that the L are build under like the S, and the LX is built stronger, like the G was... Not sure what to believe now, since I can't find a way to talk to bennington directly. On the online Bennington info, says that the L can have up to 400HP, the LX up to 450 HP... Why??
No sure what to order... I appreciate your inputs.
Thanks in advance.
PS: Never owned a pontoon before and this is my 1st post :)

In case you were not aware of it, here is the link to the Bennington build site

That goes without saying... but they only have general information... nothing on build

Welcome David! Yeah, I can appreciate your confusion with Bennington recently changing their naming scheme. However, there are a few folks on this site that have figured a lot of it out so hopefully they'll jump in with what they have learned. Oh, BTW you're going to love your new pontoon/tri-toon!

So they tell me that the New L was the S premium, and LX was the G model. However the L have a kick lights on the floor, the LX does not have any floor light! That sucks!!
I have go different information from different dealers. Some says that the L are build under like the S, and the LX is built stronger, like the G was... Not sure what to believe now, since I can't find a way to talk to bennington directly. On the online Bennington info, says that the L can have up to 400HP, the LX up to 450 HP... Why??
Thanks in advance.
As previously stated there are lots of knowledgeable people on here so I am sure you will get many responses. I agree that the LX not having the floor accent lighting is a bummer. That is about the only feature you can’t order on an LX that you can get on an L. Now that I’ve already ordered I was thinking I should’ve asked the dealer to check with Bennington and see if I could have gotten that.

As to your second point I can’t find any current information on Bennington site but before the SX premium the Series cross members were 24 inches apart. When you upgraded to the G series they were only 16 or 18 inches apart? When the SX premium came out I am believe they built it the same as the G series. The S was meant to be cheaper and entry level so that is why. All the boats have a lifetime warranty from the floor down so if you ever did have any problems it would be covered. (don’t bet your life on my above statement but I believe that is correct. If your local dealer has some in stock you could always look under the boat with a tape measure and double check.) ;)

On to your third point about the motors, it depends on a lot of different factors. What length of pontoon you’re going to get and which toon package make a big difference. The shorter boats don’t have as much buoyancy so you can’t have as big of a motor on them. Even with a 25L if you want it tagged as a 350 you lose one person for capacity. Due to the way they round their numbers, and LX will be a bigger boat than an L with the same number designation. Just look at the spec sheet when you build one. The best way to see what horsepower you can get would be to build the different models and see what your options are. Good luck with your build. I have spent a few years building boats on the website before I finally got to purchasing one.

Last edited:
Thanks in advance.
When I ordered my LX I was told the cross members are closer like how the G line was and the L has more spacing like how the S line is. If I was told wrong I would love to know that. My source was solid so I believe it. Also I liked the wider seat on the front starboard side. Both lines are great boat but the LX is a more heavy duty constructed boat as far as how it’s built. Both are Bennington and are top quality. I hope this helps.

The LX has a higher quality interior seat. The way it’s designed does not allow for toe kick lighting. The L has that Roto cast plastic base . The LX has a more deluxe and wider base I believe. What I do remember from the conversation with the dealer was they are two separate designs and the LX does not allow for toe lighting. The LX is the one with the red piping, L is the other one. I stole these pics of the net, best example I could find but I think it shows you what I was told

Attachments

• BA7E7E96-A2BB-4624-B3C7-2730CE9E5652.png
    BA7E7E96-A2BB-4624-B3C7-2730CE9E5652.png
    506.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 7915768B-BF50-435F-97D6-4AEB95A7F222.png
    7915768B-BF50-435F-97D6-4AEB95A7F222.png
    448.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
In the past the "S" model cross members were 24 inch on center all others were 16 inch on center . A few years back they changed the G ( now L ) , R and Q to 24 inch on center .

When I ordered my LX I was told the cross members are closer like how the G line was and the L has more spacing like how the S line is. If I was told wrong I would love to know that. My source was solid so I believe it. Also I liked the wider seat on the front starboard side. Both lines are great boat but the LX is a more heavy duty constructed boat as far as how it’s built. Both are Bennington and are top quality. I hope this helps.
Than you for the reply

As previously stated there are lots of knowledgeable people on here so I am sure you will get many responses. I agree that the LX not having the floor accent lighting is a bummer. That is about the only feature you can’t order on an LX that you can get on an L. Now that I’ve already ordered I was thinking I should’ve asked the dealer to check with Bennington and see if I could have gotten that.

As to your second point I can’t find any current information on Bennington site but before the SX premium the Series cross members were 24 inches apart. When you upgraded to the G series they were only 16 or 18 inches apart? When the SX premium came out I am believe they built it the same as the G series. The S was meant to be cheaper and entry level so that is why. All the boats have a lifetime warranty from the floor down so if you ever did have any problems it would be covered. (don’t bet your life on my above statement but I believe that is correct. If your local dealer has some in stock you could always look under the boat with a tape measure and double check.) ;)

On to your third point about the motors, it depends on a lot of different factors. What length of pontoon you’re going to get and which toon package make a big difference. The shorter boats don’t have as much buoyancy so you can’t have as big of a motor on them. Even with a 25L if you want it tagged as a 350 you lose one person for capacity. Due to the way they round their numbers, and LX will be a bigger boat than an L with the same number designation. Just look at the spec sheet when you build one. The best way to see what horsepower you can get would be to build the different models and see what your options are. Good luck with your build. I have spent a few years building boats on the website before I finally got to purchasing one.
Than you for your feedback!

Correct me if I’m wrong but a few years ago Bennington switched from even spacing 16” or 24” to closer where it is needed and further apart where it is not needed, they also had/have more supports under the G+ models now LX+ models. That’s what I was told. I have not looked myself. Can anyone confirm or is my info not correct?

Get the 2021 Catalog, ask your dealer for an electronic copy, does a nice job of outlining the LX Features. I ordered the RGB controller and Cup Lights to replace the Kickboard lights. The Helm is MUCH nicer, same as the RX - primarily the rocker placement and a V indent with a foot rest. The LX get's the premium wider couch seats like the R Series, but without the armrest, which we found to be much more comfortable. Interestingly, the L Series get's the Plus Swingback which creates a longer "bed" than the R Series Deluxe which folds into itself. However, the L series does NOT have the fiberglass rear, the LX get's the upgraded rear SS Bennington Name and Speakers. The LX also has the trash can in the Left Bow seat back and cooler in the corner seat. It was the Helm and Wider seats that led us the LX, since the RX did not have the Swingback Plus available.

Get the 2021 Catalog, ask your dealer for an electronic copy, does a nice job of outlining the LX Features. I ordered the RGB controller and Cup Lights to replace the Kickboard lights. The Helm is MUCH nicer, same as the RX - primarily the rocker placement and a V indent with a foot rest. The LX get's the premium wider couch seats like the R Series, but without the armrest, which we found to be much more comfortable. Interestingly, the L Series get's the Plus Swingback which creates a longer "bed" than the R Series Deluxe which folds into itself. However, the L series does NOT have the fiberglass rear, the LX get's the upgraded rear SS Bennington Name and Speakers. The LX also has the trash can in the Left Bow seat back and cooler in the corner seat. It was the Helm and Wider seats that led us the LX, since the RX did not have the Swingback Plus available.
Great info! Do you have a link to the 2021 catalog? That would be super!

Back