"L" series, anyone? -- and looking for general input, ideas, and advice for a newbie

LindaMac

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new here, and we are about to purchase our first Bennington. We live on a lake that has a lot of them, and it's time to take the plunge so to speak. I started out looking for a used SXP and am now hearing about the new L series. I would love to hear candid input from anyone who has been on the new L's. Worth it? What is better? What is worse? L vs LX? I can't find a lot of information about the 2021's yet. I am open to hearing all advice from anyone about anything. I have been reading this forum and so appreciate the sage advice. We are about as typical of a profile as it can get. Family with kids and a grandma. Tubing, skiing, cocktail sunset cruises... So far, I am confident I need: likely 23', at least 150hp and probably 200, SPS (do I need +?), hydraulic power steering (for sure). I like the dinette option with the table, as eating seems to be another water sport for us, and we are always getting food on the floor of the boat... but have been told that few people buy these. Resale value is important to us, so whatever we buy, we want to be able to resell down the road with as little depreciation as possible. Thanks for any/all comments!

The L is the previous SX Premium

Additions for 2021 are USB outputs in front couches
New styling on railings with "louvers" added
Might be more, but those are the obvious ones

Last edited:
Welcome LindaMac! Personally, it looks like you have a pretty nice boat picked out so why are you already thinking about selling it? Buy your last boat first and get the floor plan that works best for you rather than resale. We went with the mid-ship bar because food is a significant part of every outing and it has served us well. Actually, my wife and daughter insisted on it so as they say, "happy wife, happy life". While a 23' with 150 HP will be very nice, if you can stretch for a 200 you'll get a bit better performance under heavier loads. Can't help you with the L vs. LX but I'm confident that either will make you happy!

Congratulations on getting ready to order your first boat. Since the L/LX is new for 2021, not many will be able to comment. I think our first member with one that has posted on here is only in the last 2 weeks. I am sure they will chime in, and they have sounded very pleased with their boat so far. If you dig around in some threads, they posted some pictures. It looks very nice! Here is the link to their LX thread:

New LX in the Forum

Will you NEED the SPS+, probably not. I have a 200 on an SPS and it is great - 24’ SSBXP SPS. However, if you really want to move up in HP (and lets face it, if I had the $, I would have myself), and can afford it, its a nice way to get a little more HP with an SPS type hull. I would, however, say to with at least the SPS and 200HP. It just holds speed, power and hole shot better when loaded up with passengers and weight.

There are a few people with the dinette layouts. Hopefully they will let you know their thoughts. Steve above did, and they use it like you describe that you will. From the sounds of it, it is likely a great option for your boat with your intended use.

I wouldn’t worry about resale value of the dinette layout for a couple of reasons, starting with Steve’s thoughts in the previous post. I’d add that one, Bennington’s really hold great value. With you getting an L, or LX, you will have a slick looking boat. Second, those added aesthetic enhancements will make it stand out, as will the Bennington name and engineering. Next, even if many are not looking for a dinette layout, there also are not many out there. Thus, if you went to sell yours, I’d think the dinette on a pre-owned boat that is well cared for would stand out in listings.

Last, and MOST IMPORTANTLY: you will be the one using it now. You should get what makes the most sense and adds to your ownership experience first and foremost. If cooking, eating and/or cocktails are a main activity, then that dinette set up will be great for you. That added enjoyment of it might very well mean the difference in keeping it more long term, and then nullifying the significant of its resale value anyway.

Last edited:
L is the new designation for the previous SXP while the LX is the new designation for the previous G, so you can refer to last year's brochure to get an idea of which length and layout will work best for you and your family/friends.

There are some great dining-centric layouts in the SLD (L series stern lounge dinette), BR (L and LX series bar), and PD (L and LX port dinette).

Another option is the SR (stern radius) with the optional dual bow and stern tables (available to get with the SPS tritoon, but not the ESP tritoon which is limited to only the bow table)...and an optional bow filler seat to create a U-dinette seating booth, so to speak, at your choice of fore or aft depending on where you want to place that bow filler seat on any particular day. You can even take that a step further an custom-order a second bow filler seat to have the make-shift U-dinette booths at both ends simultaneously!

Last edited:
Above is great info, the only thing that they changed from the G to the LX is how they number them as far as the layouts go. The previous 23G is now 24LX they made the whole L line numbers match so the deck is the same throughout the lineup. I wish they would do the same for the R and Q line and make all the series match with the numbers. So now the L and LX are a foot shorter then the same number R and Q in total length. Let me know if you have any questions I know more then I would like to admit about the new L line. Good luck and happy pontooning!!!

Above is great info, the only thing that they changed from the G to the LX is how they number them as far as the layouts go. The previous 23G is now 24LX they made the whole L line numbers match so the deck is the same throughout the lineup. I wish they would do the same for the R and Q line and make all the series match with the numbers. So now the L and LX are a foot shorter then the same number R and Q in total length. Let me know if you have any questions I know more then I would like to admit about the new L line. Good luck and happy pontooning!!!

Excellent point about the deck lengths changing for the new LX series...I knew that, just forgot to mention it. Kudos for brining that up!

Another thing is the new L line gets the better beefier under frame (closer spacing) like the G, R and Q had last year so that is an upgrade from the SXP in the L. LX also has the better under frame like the G did in prior years.

Above is great info, the only thing that they changed from the G to the LX is how they number them as far as the layouts go. The previous 23G is now 24LX they made the whole L line numbers match so the deck is the same throughout the lineup. I wish they would do the same for the R and Q line and make all the series match with the numbers. So now cWthe L and LX are a foot shorter then the same number R and Q in total length. Let me know if you have any questions I know more then I would like to admit about the new L line. Good luck and happy pontooning!!!
My 2017 23RCW has a length of 25’ 1” so it is 2 feet difference from the number on boat.

My 2017 23RCW has a length of 25’ 1” so it is 2 feet difference from the number on boat.
Correct and the S and L line is 1 foot longer then the number on the side of the pontoon my point is a 23 R and Q series is the same length as a 24 S or L series. The 23G was the same length as the 23 R and Q series. So that is a change in the LX from the G.

Correct and the S and L line is 1 foot longer then the number on the side of the pontoon my point is a 23 R and Q series is the same length as a 24 S or L series. The 23G was the same length as the 23 R and Q series. So that is a change in the LX from the G.

Seems that the R and higher trims are measured by the length of the pontoons rounded down, whereas the LX and lower are measured by the length of the pontoons rounded up.

Examples:

23QXFB
...deck length = 25'1"
...pontoon length = 23'4"

23RCW
...deck length = 25'1"
...pontoon length = 23'4"

23LXSB
...deck length = 24'1"
...pontoon length = 22'4"

23LCWA
...deck length = 24'1"
...pontoon length = 22'4"

Thanks, everyone! Really good input. Happy to continue to hear advice from anyone, so keep it coming.

Back