Lake Moultrie, Lake Marion in SC

MH663

Reaction score
Indian Lake, OH is where the boat resides.
The wife and I are thinking of spending a week down close to Charleston, SC.  There are two very nice lakes the are connected via channels and there is also a 20 mile canal system that you can boat into Charleston.  Does anyone have any info regarding these two lakes.  They are 110K and 60K respectfully.  We are unfamiliar with the area.  Is any area better than the other for weekly vacation rental?  Any information regarding lake, marina, area, channel, etc., would be greatly appreciate.  Thinking about Aug. time frame as most of June and July appears to be booking/ed up already.

Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:
There's always Lake Norman.

LOL, we cannot hang with Norman elites, lol.  Actually looking at relocating eventually and Lake Norman would more than likely be out of our range.  There are some very fine homes down there but a bit too pricey for me based on the general looking around I have done.  We are making assumptions regarding activities around such large lakes.  Assume there will be many and you have the option of boating into the city.

Just thinking out loud at this point but we do want to look around before we begin to narrow down the area.

Being from SC and boating these lakes though out my life I'm not crazy about Moultrie, Marion is nice. I just spent a week on Lake Greenwood (only about 11k acre, 220 miles of shoreline). This lake doesn't have much boat traffic at all! It's small in comparison, long and narrow, we had a wonderful time boating all day and seeing about 20 boats, mostly fishing. First time I ever saw a ski nautique tied up to a bridge fishing :)

From what I could tell housing around Lake Greenwood was very affordable. Not terribly far from Greenville which IMO is a very nice city. Greenwood has a lot of golf around the area if that's your thing, and Lake Greenwood has one of the nicest Class A RV Resorts in SC, that is where we stayed.

Lake Murray gives you another option, I grew up on this lake, moved off about three years ago. Home prices are back on the rise, sizable deep water lake (50k acre, over 500 miles of shoreline), depths to over 200 feet, tons of boat traffic in the summer. I now avoid the weekends during the summer months. Gives you the Capital city only 20 minutes away (depending on traffic and your location), maybe it's me but growing up in this city it doesn't have much to do unless your a Gamecock fan. Most everything revolves around the university. Greenville is *much* nicer IMO, Greenwwood has that small town feel, has most everything you would need. Charleston is very nice, I just hate the tourist traffic in and around town.

Good luck in your choice!

Steve

LOL, we cannot hang with Norman elites, lol.  Actually looking at relocating eventually and Lake Norman would more than likely be out of our range.  There are some very fine homes down there but a bit too pricey for me based on the general looking around I have done.  We are making assumptions regarding activities around such large lakes.  Assume there will be many and you have the option of boating into the city.

Just thinking out loud at this point but we do want to look around before we begin to narrow down the area.

I was just a working stiff when we retired here and there's still affordable stuff around. We have a wonderful realtor friend who is very knowledgeable around the lake.

For me it's waterfront living or bust! Hopefully we get off this pond and onto some big water one day. You guys have it made down there. I really liked Greenville, beautiful area with the river flowing through. Tree lined streets.

Thanks for the feedback.  Our goal was to move as far south without hitting Florida.  Looked at Clarks Hill lake as well.  We don't mind the seasonal changes but we are both over the cold, snowy winters.  Nothing like Michigan of course but done with it all the same.  Would like to actually be on the lake as well. 

My wife loves the heat and hates the snow so we have been looking south. Problem is she wants hot hot hot, so FL or Texas are her target areas. I'd love to be in NC/SC though. I don't like the super heat, or alligators.

Heat is a lot more bearable when your sitting in the water.  We though about Texas, my brothers there, but unless you're down near Corpus it still gets too cool.  Plenty of nice lakes in the Dallas area though.  I was thinking Florida but Okeechobee, excuse spelling, is in not to good of shape.  I'm on small water now and want more room to cruise or do whatever.  Pull up get a meal or drink and cruise some more.  Look out on the lake, take a late night cruise.  Oh yeah, that's what we're talking about, lol.  We love the seasonal changes. Just over the snow and grey skies from nov until April. 

Couple things to consider about SC, taxes!

To give you an idea, my Bennie taxes are 1200 a year, a pontoon with a 115hp, taxes a year

F150 taxes almost 1000 a year

lexus taxes 1200 a year

motorhome taxes 3500 a year

our home 4000 a year

7% state income tax....

Makes it difficult on a fixed income, this is why Florida and other states are so retirement friendly.

Our tax rates are not that high but "everything" is taxed.

Steve

Btw, property tax rates change by county.

steve

Our taxes here at the lake are $3500.00 and that's considered high (not by me)and it varies by county. Boat is $150.00 and cars (Toyota and Audi) around $350.00. We have seasons, just not long cold ones. If you want to check it out, let me know.

Wow CWag have seen pictures of your beautiful house on the water and can't believe your  taxes are that low.  Taxes in NY are unbelievable for waterfront

I pay more than that in property taxes! StevL- How can they tax your personal property each year??????

I pay more than that in property taxes! StevL- How can they tax your personal property each year??????

It's the same here but not as bad. In order to renew your car registration, the personal property tax is included. It's still WAY cheaper than living in NJ.

That is nuts. How can they keep taxing something over and over again????? Time to throw the tea in the harbor again.

Andy ,look at what we pay for the piece of paper every year that goes on your license plate .

Wife will be retiring in 1 yr been looking at Lake Hartwell SC/GA home prices seem reasonable can anybody tell me anything about this lake? 

StevL- How can they tax your personal property each year??????

I can't answer how they do it, they just do. The rate does decline as the vehicle/boat/rv depreciates but only about 5% per year for the first 10 years. I know our real property tax is fair when compared to the northern states, but, you must also realize our house hold income is *much* less than those states too.

In this state you never own anything! You always have a property tax, so unfair IMO.

My personal pet peeve is living in the South and working your entire life, I have a nice house worth 500k here in SC. If I decided to move up north to retire I'll have to buy a million dollar plus home to have the same house. Can't do it..... you have my home up North sell it and move here, you have good money left in your pocket. I just lived in the wrong place my entire life , I do have a Southern Belle as a wife :)  

Steve

My wife loves the heat and hates the snow so we have been looking south. Problem is she wants hot hot hot, so FL or Texas are her target areas. I'd love to be in NC/SC though. I don't like the super heat, or alligators.

We'll move south when I retire, but just north of the alligator line!

Back