Lake Texoma

Boomers dad

Reaction score
I am hoping to go to Texas in the next few weeks to visit my son. I was thinking about taking my boat and staying at Lake Texoma. Is there anyone on here that boats at Texoma? I was wondering what the conditions are at the lake. I know with the draught alot of the lakes are low. Just wondering if the ramps etc are still open.

Suggest you check the Texas or Oklahome State Park websites about Lake Texoma. Today the Texas site says it still has the blue-green algae warning and swimming is prohibited. Says ramps and boating are still permissible but that "boaters should reduce speed to prevent spray which is harmful to people and pets if inhaled"

I have not been to Texoma recently but the drought conditions are severe in this area. I mostly go to Lake Grapevine (about 90 miles south of Texoma) and last week I could not launch my boat because of low lake levels. I backed my boat/trailer more than twice as far as usual on two ramps (and I am assuming that actual ramps end somewhere) and my bunks were still not wet much less the pontoons!

But maybe (hopefully) there will be some significant rainfall in the next couple of weeks, good luck, but suggest you check the local area specifically before trailering all the way there :)

I am hearing Texoma is as low as it has been since it opened. They also have the blue green algae in the coves and other shallow areas. Some are saying it is all bull puckey, but who knows.

I was there about a month ago and it was noticeably low. Word is you can still get in at Soldier Creek. Other ramps, I am not sure about. Areas around the islands would be cautious navigation for me. Also, getting in to Cedar Mills can be tricky.

Best advice I can give is to buy a good map when you get there. Most all the marinas have them.

Good luck.

andy

How about Lewisville or Ray Roberts. I've been to both in the past. Any blue/green there?

Have not heard of an algae problem at either of those two lakes.

The Corps of Engineers website today lists Ray Roberts as down 3.9 feet and Lewisville down over 5 feet. Have only heard of one ramp on Lewisville being closed because of low water levels but maybe some other forum members who use these lakes regularly could provide better information.

There is still no rain forecast for this area in the near future.

I have a slip on Lewisville and the ramps are still open with the exception of 1 (not sure which one though...i think it's one on the colony side not lewisville side)

I would stay out of Texoma for 2 reasons...the blue/green algae and worse the zebra mussels. If you take your boat to texoma it us suggested that as soon as you take it out you clean it and then keep it out of other lakes for at least a week or two.

Now...if you come to Lewisville let me know. I'd love to meet up with another Benny owner!

Matthew, thanks for the tip. I am aquainted with Zebra mussels, we have then in my home lake. I do make sure everything has dried out so I don't transfer them when I go to other lakes. Not sure now if we are going anytime soon. My wife has been having some heart issues so all of our plans are on hold until we meet with the cardiologist. But if we do come down and go to Lewisville I will post on here so we can meet up :)

Thanks Geoffrey, Your concern is appreciated :)

Matthew, thanks for the tip. I am aquainted with Zebra mussels, we have then in my home lake. I do make sure everything has dried out so I don't transfer them when I go to other lakes. Not sure now if we are going anytime soon. My wife has been having some heart issues so all of our plans are on hold until we meet with the cardiologist. But if we do come down and go to Lewisville I will post on here so we can meet up :)
Hope Dawn is feeling better! thoughts and prayers coming your way

Back