leaks in playpen cover

princessjulie

Reaction score
When I removed the cover on my 24sslx I discovered the carpet was really wet, especially at the 2 stern posts. Any ideas why ?

Hi Julie, welcome to the club!

I guess we'll need a little more info about the conditions the boat was exposed to when this happend. As in, was there a thunderstorm with driving rain, hubby put the sprinkler too close to it, water puddled up on the cover?

The playpen covers are not a watertight cover, they are intended to keep sunlight, dirt and moderate rainfall off your boat. They have vents at the pole supports and utilize the gaps around the playpen for air flow. Which helps get the boat dry and reduces the chance for mold growth.

If you had a hard driving rain[lucky you!]water can enter through the vents, the gaps between the floor and playpen rails, the angle of the boat can allow rainfall to enter under the rails also.

So, if this has not given you the answer you where looking for, respond back with more specifics and we'll try to help ;)

Yup I totally agree w/G & B, although the cover keeps most of the interior dry, rain easily gets through the vent holes on top and my carpet is usually wet in spots when I take the cover off. We've had alot of rain/thunderstorms/severe weather in Virginia this summer.............

Yeah, I've always looked at the covers as more of a sun protectant, than a rain protectant. Water will always find the easiest path to enter, other than shrink wrap, you'll never stop it. The rails are set up 1/4" or so to at least allow ventation and excess water to run off. Just sop up any drenched spots with sponge or towel, then enjoy the toon for what it is.

Thanks Guys and Gals for the insight about the leaks. We are really enjoying our boat this summer and maybe a "little protective". Thanks for the fedback.

Julie & Michael

Thanks Guys and Gals for the insight about the leaks. We are really enjoying our boat this summer and maybe a "little protective". Thanks for the fedback.

Julie & Michael
You could try some 303 fabric protectant and it will make it more water proofed.The water will bead off. I use it on ours and it also provides uv protection.

Rain enters into the 4 vertical posts holding up your bimini top. Since these posts have a plastic hook at the bottom to secure the top to the rail the water is caught inside the post. Over time the water slowly leaks out onto your carpet since these posts terminate below your cover. Next time it rains unhook your post, rotate it and I bet water pours out like mine did. This is a design error which Bennington could easily fix by giving you 4 inside plugs to insert at the top of these rails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rain enters into the 4 vertical posts holding up your bimini top. Since these posts have a plastic hook at the bottom to secure the top to the rail the water is caught inside the post. Over time the water slowly leaks out onto your carpet since these posts terminate below your cover. Next time it rains unhook your post, rotate it and I bet water pours out like mine did. This is a design error which Bennington could easily fix by giving you 4 inside plugs to insert at the top of these rails.
I've never had a drop of water come out of my bimini frame.

I leave my top up throughout the season and typically dump out a 0.5 cup of water from each. If you leave your top in the radar position it may not be a problem.

I leave my top up throughout the season and typically dump out a 0.5 cup of water from each. If you leave your top in the radar position it may not be a problem.
Gotcha. B)

Maybe you could drill a small drain hole at the bottom, maybe 1/8" diameter to let it drain. Just a thought.

Good ideal about adding a drain hoe. The problem is the vertical strut terminates below the playpen cover and the water will drain out onto your carpet in either case. I think the solution is to prevent the rain from getting into the strut in the first place.

Good ideal about adding a drain hoe. The problem is the vertical strut terminates below the playpen cover and the water will drain out onto your carpet in either case. I think the solution is to prevent the rain from getting into the strut in the first place.
Do a search for lawn furniture parts and you'll find caps for square tubing like lawn chairs, etc.Here ya go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a search for lawn furniture parts and you'll find caps for square tubing like lawn chairs, etc.Here ya go.
Drill it on the "outside" so it will drain no different than rain water running down the outside of the tube.

Your cover is cut out around the mounts anyhow, so I don't think it would make a whole lot of difference on water intrusion,

just now don't have to worry about 1/2 cup of water pouring out when you flip it up.

We had over 3+ inches of rain today with 40+mph winds . Needless to say, my playpen cover even with 303 sprayed on it leaked and puddled in certain areas. My carpet is soaked from pole #2 all the way back to stern loungers. I wouldn't expect any cover to hold up in these conditions. I am actually surprised that under the console and front of carpet to the console is dry

Back