Legality of bright lights from dock or shore??

Wish2fish

Reaction score
As we get started in this boating season we come to find an issue that I'm not sure the legality of the issue.

We boat on the Ohio river. Our place is about 1/2 mile back into a creek. Upon returning after dark last weekend we have found that 2 landowners have placed extremely bright lights pointing from the beginning of their dock ramps out into the water. I believe they are LED spot lights. The lights are blinding. Not only is hard to see while you are passing through that area, it affects your vision after you pass.

My question, is legal for them to have these lights positioned this way on a waterway? The creek is only used by the local boaters, not commercial traffic.

Check with your local authorities .What may be legal in my area may not be in yours

You might also think about stopping for a chat sometime. They may have no idea the problem they are causing.

We have a quite a few dock owners that install their lights pointing outwards into the lake. It can be very distracting and also makes it difficult to navigate at times. I'm not sure why some feel the need to point them outwards instead of downward to light the area right around their docks.

They also might be doing it, thinking it will deter wake makers, not realizing it is only causing more problems that solutions.

They are probably worried about theft. Yes, stop by if you ever see them out, if they are boaters they should understand.

Last edited:
Back