Lift Question for Team Beenington

dclapp

Reaction score
Here is a photo of my cantilevered boat lift. My professional installer has said this is the way he does it on all pontoons. Can you tell me if it will work?Image.jpg

TB posted a spec sheet for the spacing on perpendicular bunks to lift the toons. It is very important to position the boat properly. Search the forum for that posting. The right way and the way everybody does it are very different. You have the advantage of a company that gives us the info to do it the right way.

TB posted a spec sheet for the spacing on perpendicular bunks to lift the toons. It is very important to position the boat properly. Search the forum for that posting. The right way and the way everybody does it are very different. You have the advantage of a company that gives us the info to do it the right way.
I understand what you are saying but as you can see I have a lift already installed from a previous installation and this is what I have to work with. When I go to my dealer, he has boats that are sitting on the ground with blocks of wood under the logs at approx the same location as where my lift boards are. I have the specs from bennington. my problem is that as you can see the bunks cannot be widened. This is the design of my lift. It was expensive when I had it originally installed and it would be cost prohibitive to purchase a whole new lift.

Dave

dclapp,

Team Bennington has posted the pontoons need to be supported from the rear of the pontoon forward to the start of the nose cone. I think you could modify your lift by adding 2 - 2"X6" standing on edge for each pontoon. These 2x6's are wrapped in carpet where they come in contact with the aluminum. Your lift guy should be able to supply the brackets. These support brackets would clamp to your beams.

Hope this helps.

DSC00030 (Custom).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand what you are saying but as you can see I have a lift already installed from a previous installation and this is what I have to work with. When I go to my dealer, he has boats that are sitting on the ground with blocks of wood under the logs at approx the same location as where my lift boards are. I have the specs from bennington. my problem is that as you can see the bunks cannot be widened. This is the design of my lift. It was expensive when I had it originally installed and it would be cost prohibitive to purchase a whole new lift.

Dave
If the lift bunks can be adjusted to make them wider (or more narrow as may be needed) then you will be ok. TB did post that they need to have the perpendicular bunk positioned under the front and rear bulkhead of the main tubes as that is the strongest area and the posting had the measurements - so do search out the previous posting. If your lift bunks cannot be adjusted then it may not be the ideal way to go and you may need to consider other options to modify your bunks.

Jack

Why don't you just put a couple of carpeted 2x10's or 12's lengthwise and be done with it. That's what we,ve been using for the past 5 years with no problems. With 2 guides on each side you can pull in either direction and be home. I think you're trying to overthink this. My $.02

Why don't you just put a couple of carpeted 2x10's or 12's lengthwise and be done with it. That's what we,ve been using for the past 5 years with no problems. With 2 guides on each side you can pull in either direction and be home. I think you're trying to overthink this. My $.02
That makes sense but wont the 2x12's sag in the middle?

Thanks again,

Dave

Do you have the depth to double them up and put them on end Dave ? Maybe put spacers between them (4-5 " to better support the toons) Better yet galvanized channel. Also I see you have "X" cross supports. That could help. My $.02 Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
What you have is two separate lifts, each with an arm holding up each end of the boat sideways. You've certainly got enough power/lifting capacity for two pontoon boats. I would be afraid your toons would get dented, especially on the end holding up the heavy engine and stern.

I just fabricated a 11' x 18' frame out of 4" channel iron to go under my boat--held up by an Ace life with 1/4" cables on 4 corners. I ran a pair of 2x8's lengthwise under each of my toons held up by 5 crossmembers. My steel weighed about 500 lbs., and cost $420.

A scaled down version of what I have would work. The problem is that you have two separate lifts, and it would be difficult to hard mount a rack on both lifts--in case one lift is faster or slower than the other. With a little democrat ingenuity, a rack under your boat could easily be fabricated and would strongly support your hull.

dclapp,

What model is your pontoon? Clearly there are many ways to go to make your existing lift(s) work. But the weight and length of your pontoon may suggest the optimal solution.

Back