Lighten a Livewell?

Rock n' Reel

Reaction score
Our livewell has a black interior -- this makes it difficult to see and grab the fish out of the livewell. This is the one silly thing on the boat. I've thought of painting it white with waterproof paint or adding some kind of light striping. Guess I could get a light.

Any ideas for lightening a black livewell?

How about one of those stickup light things?

I think they even have them in LED these days.

They usually come one in a pack, you put the batteries in and you use either the two-sided tape or some small screws to hang it up.

Personally, I like to use HD Velcro from the hardware store.

You should be able to buy both the light AND the velcro for less than $20, including tax.

Thanks Ericsher . . . I remain baffled as to why Bennington would install a Black Livewell. I guess it was cost effective to keep the whole seat-molded section in one piece [all other boxes are black on the boat].

I'll have to either carry a flashlight or get one of those velcro lights you mentioned. However, when the lid is opened with the light attached it won't shine on the livewell in that position. I was wondering if painting the box interior is an option. Although I think that would be one of those projects that makes sense at the start and then a year later might be a huge mistake. :)

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks again!

I don't see why painting the inside white would be problem, a long as you use a good marine grade of paint. That should brighten things up in there. Do you have room in there for maybe some water proof rope lighting?

I'll have to either carry a flashlight or get one of those velcro lights you mentioned. However, when the lid is opened with the light attached it won't shine on the livewell in that position.
You're livewell probably wont be filled to the brim and you may find that one of those "stick-up" lights work well on the side of the well. Just a thought. It's only battery powered, so no lives are in jeopardy.

Someone else mentioned a rope light which can also be effective, although you'll need to figure out how to get it in.

OR...

This just occurred to me...

Get the light, forget the velcro and stick the light into a ziplock bag. You may need to stick some lead in there too, but otherwise it should hang out on the bottom of the tank. Just reach down, push it on and push it off.

Yes, I am that cheap #@$?! :D

All good options. I think there is room for a rope light under the lip of the well. Would love to paint it so I won't have to mess with lights & batteries but am worried about the paint peeling over time.

All good options. I think there is room for a rope light under the lip of the well. Would love to paint it so I won't have to mess with lights & batteries but am worried about the paint peeling over time.
They make paint now that is meant for plastic and chemically bonds to it.

You can buy it in rattle cans at the big box stores and it says "plastic" right on the can.

Use a gloss paint. It's more reflective.

Back