Little prop damage ???

JasonLepore

Reaction score
I ran into low tide and hit something with my prop there are a few dings at the tips of the prop,, is it ok? Should i try to fix it ,, or do I have to get a new one already ?:-/

I is good to have the prop repaired. The damage to the blades can cause a vibration which may cause premature failure to the lower unit.

I ran into low tide and hit something with my prop there are a few dings at the tips of the prop,, is it ok? Should i try to fix it ,, or do I have to get a new one already ?:-/

One if the worst you can do to a outboard or another engine is run with a unbalanced prop. You'll shake motor mounts and lower units apart if used for long periods. If it's aluminum, it's a easy and cheap fix. Stainless is more expensive, but they can be fixed.

Todd

Jason, I boat on a lake where the water rises and falls continuosly, add to that I like to shore line cruise to look at all the camps rather than just motor from one place to another in the middle of the lake. I have learned that it is best for me to own 2 aluminimum props, one for a backup in case I need to send out for repair

+1 on having two propellers. I have a 21" stainless prop as a backup that came with my slightly used motor. Plus, you've got to carry the tools with you to change out the prop.

Thanks .. I have a ss prop.. Not sure what nicks are considered bad.. I will get a 2nd prop anyway.. I'll try to post pics of the damage .. Thanks again

Back