Locking motor during travel?

Willes

Reaction score
To make a long story short, I have been given some conflicting information about using the locking (travel?) tabs on my 200HP Suzuki motor. I had to take the boat back to my dealer to check an issue with the trim button and the mechanic assured me that using the locking tabs while towing could result in severe damage to the motor. He claimed they are there only for service. I have however seen videos on YouTube where people specifically talked about using these tabs for transport to protect during bumps. I am completely confused?

The mechanic is correct, tabs are not for travel. I use a M-Y Wedge that fits over one of the trim rams for travel.

The mechanic is correct, tabs are not for travel. I use a M-Y Wedge that fits over one of the trim rams for travel.
My dealer told me to just leave my motor down in operating position when towing as it sits so high on trailer that it won't drag skag on boat ramp or curb cuts at gas stations,etc. It is well supported by 3rd tube design transom as it has SPS and trailer has center tube supports. Is this correct that it is ok to tow with engine down? It self drains for winter when vertical also he says.

We always tow with the motor down. No angle forces on the transom.

I was told the same thing. They said a good rule of thumb is 12 to 13 inches from the very bottom of the motor to the ground. No other locking or supports or necessary.

Very short distances engine down. Long distances engine supported as shown in photos.

77189C35-49BE-4630-B023-3AE7AB59F5F5.jpeg4868C2BC-582B-48E4-A621-908B6BD4A39D.jpeg

Is that a Yamaha shake weight? :D
I always leave mine down on the trailer as it rides high enough to prevent digging in

Back