Losing my plane at 3/4 throttle

Skbourgo

Reaction score
I have a 150HP 22 tritoon. When I accelerate at 3/4 throttle the bow comes up and then I plane out. Without moving the throttle lever the and the trim all the way down the bow of the boat starts to come up, I lose speed and continue at this pace. Motor does not lose power, I seem to have a drag that slows me up. Any suggestions or ideas as to why maybe happening. I asked to my two guest to move up front and this helped slightly, however I thought for sure a 150HP tritoon could handle this weight on plane once we got going.

with your trim all the way down you take off as soon as the boat comes on plain the rear of the boat rises up forcing the bow down to counter act this rear rising and bow starting to go down you need to start trimming the motor up to the point where the trimmed out motor starts to lift the bow out of the water, on my 22' i usually run my trim at 1/4 to 1/3 on the trim gauge at plaining speeds I hope this helps you, to find the best trim point at speed watch your speedometer and find the fastest speed you boat will go while keeping the motor at a constant 4000 rpms

Last edited:
I was thinking Trim as well. Follow the advice above in finding your optimal trim points for cruising, at WOT, water sports, etc... It totally sounds like a matter of playing around with your trim while underway.

What is your RPM at 3/4 throttle? Looking at some performance bulletins for a 22’ tritoon with F150 the planing rpm is in the 2500-3000 range at 16-18mph with the correct prop. If you are straddling that rpm I could see how the boat might come off plane and plow. If you are well above that rpm then there may be other issues such as incorrect prop, toon bottom growth, motor height, water in toon, etc. etc.

I also assume that at WOT you have no issues staying up on plane? RPM at WOT?

Ok maybe I have just missed something but unlike a deep v or hull type boat our watercraft don’t really come on plane as per say. Thats why if you have learned to pull skiers with a deep v and jump on a Tritoon and use the technique that you learned with the hull type craft you will simply yank the rope right out of the skiers hands. Our watercraft accelerate much faster from a dead start than a hull type craft. I have found over the years of operating a Pontoon and the present Tritoon the trim is really more important for the extremely fine tuning of the speed and more importantly for easing the steering pressure ( usually having to hold right turning pressure to keep boat from turning left) while you are in a steady cruise. I normally have the trim in the center of the gage, maybe slightly nose down for start and than it generally ends up just slightly above the line or nose up. Once again I use steering pressure as a guide to proper trim. If I have to hold the steering wheel one way or the other I fine tune the trim until the pressure I put on the steering wheel goes away. Now keep I’m mind I have a wimpy Yamaha 150hp motor. Not sure what the bigger pony crowd has experienced. LOL!

Back