Loss mph under full load of stuff.

Moving Forward

Reaction score
Matthews North Carolina as of September 2016
Hey just wondering how many lose mph underloaded normal to big loads. Son and me with full tank of gas can hit 45 and hold with same toys/ necessities, add 4 more (625 pounds)people for total of six and I drop down to 35/36 mph.  I assume  normal to lose 7 to 9 mph right?

wonder if strip all stuff off,  but life jacket for me and half tank gas would produce in mph? Just no time to waste to pull this off.... lol 

2015 2375GCW sport arch, elliptical sports, all bells and whistles package, 54inch ski pylon as well and with 200hp Yamaha  on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just jealous you 2375 runs 45mph with a 200hp! What prop do you run on that thing?! I lose a couple mile an hour when loaded with 6-8 people and gear, boat usually run 41 on gps empty, still runs 37-38 loaded. Boat is a trailer queen so never any build up on the toons to slow it down. 

My boat runs around 45 whether empty or loaded to the gills.  Not sure why as your drop in mph makes perfect sense to me 

After one season, this is my perception:

Mine is no speedster to be sure with a top end of roughly 39 MPH, but it seems that even loaded (twelve people so far with carry-on's, 45 gallons of fuel and 6 gallon fresh water) I'm still around 36-37 MPH, so I really haven't noticed a substantial drop-off. Hole shot is pretty much the same way, with little noticeable impact regardless of load.

On the other hand, I'm really not very interested in top end speed anyway. After a minute or two, my eyes can't take the wind and I get the feeling my passengers aren't real thrilled either. My "sweet spot" for enjoyability and economy seems to be around 17 MPH. 

Boat is stored on a trailer so the toons a real clean other than the dent just put in it. See other thread. Dent in place that will never effect performance. Probably have 650 pounds of stuff supplies on the boat at all times since we trailer it. This way I don't have to run back to the storage unit to get toys and things if and when the trip plans change on the water.. kids whim change a lot. Lol the boat is 25' 9" long from tip of toon to end of transom. Then add motor. So I guess until I travel lighter it is what it is.... really enjoy tris boat. Reason for traveling at high speed is I have been ending up pretty far down the lake sight seeing etc. Then all want to get back to the boat ramp before sun sets or another appointment/ engagement is back to back. So hauling boat is one of the options to make it back. :)

Looks like fun!

I will do low 40s myself, light fuel load.  Large load, guesstimate over 1000 Lbs, i still did 36.

That sounds a little much to me unless your putting all that extra load right on the bow of the boat. My rule of thumb is deduct 1 mph max for every person added (evenly distributed), you seem to be doubling that... Sounds like you MAY be over propped. Make sure you are at max RPM's with your current prop with a very light load.

Good luck!

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Last trip on lake Norman in NC. Used Lake Norman App and track trip.

View attachment 1562

Very happy to see you got your boat back!  Lake Norman is beautiful.  I boat on Mtn. Island, which is where the Neck Road boat landing is.  I read your post this morning and my heart sank...so happy to keep reading and find your boat made it back to you intact. Enjoy the winter...my boating season isn't over yet.  I'm going out later this morning!

Back