Low Lake Level - Oh Boy!

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
So, we were down state the past 3 weeks during Mayfly season at the lake. Came back up to the lake house for the summer a few days ago. Our lake level started the spring VERY low, and due to some dam/county commissioner issues has slowly been draining down lower.

Well, three weeks later, without rain, continuing to drop…and its crazy!!!

Dropped the boat down off the Sea Legs today knowing all week the lake level looked like late September.

Rear of pontoons is about 2” above lake bed. If I trim motor down enough to where I would normally start it, the skeg is 2” into the sandy lake bottom. We would need to walk the boat out another +/- 200’ from dock to get to deep enough water to actually trim down and start the motor...AND…we have the rest of the season left where we would normally lose a good foot or more of depth.

Typically by August it can be dicey. Often in September we have to walk the boat out 200’ to deeper water before starting motor as it will be nearly beached. We are currently at that situation the third week of June.

I am seriously going to need to brainstorm ideas for putting bird deterrents on my bimini/mooring cover so we can ”park” the boat solo on its Sea Legs 220’+ out from shore to keep birds and their crap off the boat. Dori poles lakeside work perfect. On its own, it becomes covered in poo fast!

Currently we cannot use the boat unless we have company over that is willing and strong enough to walk the boat out for us. With my injured hip I cannot walk it out at all. And it’s way too much for my tiny petite wife to walk out.

Just stunned by it. Going to be an interesting summer of boat usage or non-usage. If you have any good bird detergent ideas that are easy to through together for a boat moored on its own away from a dock with just its mooring cover, please let me know. Trying to think of things I can string up, or use zip ties to attach a Dori Pole to my rear ladder, etc…????

Maybe this or a combo of several.
1: You would need a 12v pump and a hose to lake. Have no idea how much power it would use. Could use a 12 solar battery charger and then no power issue.
2: or maybe the spinning wire bird thing.
3: couple of rubber snakes.

Havahart 5277 Critter Ridder Motion Activated Animal Repellent and Sprinkler - Repel Cats, Dogs, Chipmunks, Groundhogs, Squirrels, Skunks, Deer, and More

We are about 8 inches lower, but they opened the locks for a poker run this weekend.

Dave posted those plastic Bird Spikes ,about a year ago. Attach them to your bimini with bungee cords.

Can you zip tie pvc poles to slide in the dori poles. Not the prettiest but could help deter birds.

This owl actually worked for most of the summer of 2022 until the birds got smart! I also had rubber snakes on the front and rear of the mooring cover! I also had glittery colorful windmills attached around the lift. Anything to scare them!
IMG_20220425_185953317_HDR.jpgIMG_20220425_185900913_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Being that far off shore, Should you also be putting a mooring light on the boat, so that night boaters don’t crash into it? Something that runs off its own battery, with a photocell?
One would think so, but then there are Soooo many boats and lifts and docks that far out without lights that I think everyone knows witching 200-250’ of shore there are obstacles out there. But to be on the safe side, I am thinking of putting a solar dock light out with it.

This owl actually worked for most of the summer of 2022 until the birds got smart! I also had rubber snakes on the front and rear of the mooring cover! I also had glittery colorful windmills attached around the lift. Anything to scare them!
View attachment 34445View attachment 34447
I might add this to the list of mitigation measures. Does that just fit over the top of the light?

Maybe this or a combo of several.
1: You would need a 12v pump and a hose to lake. Have no idea how much power it would use. Could use a 12 solar battery charger and then no power issue.
2: or maybe the spinning wire bird thing.
3: couple of rubber snakes.

Havahart 5277 Critter Ridder Motion Activated Animal Repellent and Sprinkler - Repel Cats, Dogs, Chipmunks, Groundhogs, Squirrels, Skunks, Deer, and More
I am going to play around with a silver fringy string that might work similar to #2. I use it along shore and dock, and have extra in the garage. Thinking about how to string it up so I can put it up and take it off easily when the boat is sitting solo out in The water without dock next to it. maybe tie a fake snake or two to the as well…? Hmmm…?

You attach them with a ball bungee on your bimini. I got them last year

Can you zip tie pvc poles to slide in the dori poles. Not the prettiest but could help deter birds.
Good idea. I think I might be able to rig up one. Maybe zip tied a small light Dori Pole to ladder. I have an older blue one I don’t use anymore in storage. I have a curved ladder. That should be able to support a light smaller Dori Pole zip tied to it. It has the benefit of being able to do it standing in the lake behind the boat without dock assistance as well. Thanks!

The extended forecast up here calls for rain for about the next 10 of 14 days . "IF" they are correct levels should be back up.

I might add this to the list of mitigation measures. Does that just fit over the top of the light?
Yes we put a small sock over the light then put the owl over it!

The extended forecast up here calls for rain for about the next 10 of 14 days . "IF" they are correct levels should be back up.
I was seeing that. I am hopeful. If we could get a few inches added into the lake, we’d hit a minimally useful amount. Here’s to hoping…well, with the exception of this upcoming weekend and hosting company. It can rain M-Th. Ha, ha.

Has anyone tried one of the small $200 electric motors to cover that 200 yards work? You could leave the engine running just below the surface for the power use?

Back