magma or kumma

liljake83

Reaction score
time to get a grill for my new bennie i have seen the magmas and they look nice but my dealer says they have allot of problems and they reccomend the kumma stow n go grills what do you guys think what have you used?

I have the Magma Kettle 2 grill. This is the first year so I don't know about problems. They have great reviews and appear to have lots of satisfied customers. On the other hand they aint cheap - don't know anything about the kumma grill.

Shawn

"liljake3" My experience with these two brands is so opposite of what your say your dealer tells you that I wonder if either you or he have the recommendations reversed!

Last year I purchased a Kuuma grill (rectangular one about 20x12 inches) from West Marine, used it once, then returned it for a full credit and purchased a Magma grill (same shape).

The positive of the Kumma grill was that it was cheaper and it came with a light weight carrying bag.

The negatives of the Kumma grill were:

- The material it was made of seemed thinner and less durable.

- The removal grill was one piece making it difficult to clean; the Magma removable grill is 3 pieces allowing them to fit in a kitchen sink to soak while cleaning.

- The device to which the propane bottle is attached and its control knob were loose fitting, difficult to attach the bottle and the control knob was generally ineffective (it was either off or high). The Magma device works as one would expect it to work and it is easy to attach the propane bottle.

- Approximately 8 to 10 sharp little screw points penetrated the interior bottom of the Kuuma grill making it exceedingly difficult to clean; I either tore sponges, paper towels, or the skin of my fingers trying to clean it. The Magma grill interior bottom is completely smooth.

- The separate equipment to attach the Kuuma grill to the pontoon rail was convoluted and I thought would require at least 3 hands to be functional. The Magma grill systems have a variety of attachment choices that all seem to be functional and easy to use and at least only require a person to have 2 hands.

I suppose my evaluations are based on last year models and Kuuma could have come out with better designed equipment; I would not know since I am completely satisfied with my Magma grill. At the time I returned the Kuuma grill, the West Marine store manager happened to say he thought West Marine was going to stop carrying Kuuma brand grills because customers had so many problems with them.

I would highly recommend you go with a Magma. As an aside, I already had a mental plan that if West Marine gave me a problem with returning the Kuuma grill because it was used, I was going to have an accident in which it "fell" into the lake so that I could rationalize to my wife why I had to buy another grill (Magma).

great info guys i really appreciate it sounds like it is definitly the magma and dano i will tripple check that the propane bottle is tight lol

Can't speak to the Kumma grill but I love my Magma Newport ... mounted on a pedestal on the stearn deck.

I like their jointly designed combination BBQ and Stereo System. It's called the Magma Kumma Louda. :lol:

Is this thing on...?

:p

Here's the best pic that I have of my grill ... don't know how to re-size it so it may not upload. I was successful at posting this pic in my gallery if it doesn't show up here.

K, am I an idiot? Once again someone has said that the pics are in their gallery and I can't see them anywhere! I wonder is it because I'm on my tablet?

I don't see the pics either. But I'm very interested. Still not sure how to best do a grill (for us).

Bulldog and kaydano, I finally figured out when I go to someones gallery that you have to click on the picture to get all of them to come up. Hope your problem is the same as mine. I'm not very tech savy. Steve

I think I fixed the picture problem ... I had to mark the album as "Public" as opposed to "Private". I purchased the post base, the post and the BBQ all from Magma. I mounted the post base with stainless nuts, bolts and lockwashers thru the deck on the port side of the stern ... It's opposite my ladder and outside the fence. I had to drill out some rivits on the underskinning to access the bottom of the bolts but I just don't trust self-tapping screws with that kind of vibration. Magma has a great system that works well for removing the post when you're not using the grill and it basically leaves a mounting plate attached to the deck that is similar to what you have on the floor when your table is stowed. The base plate only protudes about 3/4" above the deck and has rounded edges so it's not a toe-stubber. I put it right at the corner and positioned it so that my grill is mounted at a 45 degree angle and facing towards the rear gate. I also purchased the prep shelf that just slips on to the front of the grill. It's sure not the cheapest way to get a grill on your boat but I'm very satisfied with it.

I think I fixed the picture problem ... I had to mark the album as "Public" as opposed to "Private". I purchased the post base, the post and the BBQ all from Magma. I mounted the post base with stainless nuts, bolts and lockwashers thru the deck on the port side of the stern ... It's opposite my ladder and outside the fence. I had to drill out some rivits on the underskinning to access the bottom of the bolts but I just don't trust self-tapping screws with that kind of vibration. Magma has a great system that works well for removing the post when you're not using the grill and it basically leaves a mounting plate attached to the deck that is similar to what you have on the floor when your table is stowed. The base plate only protudes about 3/4" above the deck and has rounded edges so it's not a toe-stubber. I put it right at the corner and positioned it so that my grill is mounted at a 45 degree angle and facing towards the rear gate. I also purchased the prep shelf that just slips on to the front of the grill. It's sure not the cheapest way to get a grill on your boat but I'm very satisfied with it.
Wow that is an awesome setup for bbqing thanks

Looks nice!

Magma here all the way. I only need to set the temp control on low for all my cooking. Lights well in the wind, stows easily in the boat, and makes tasty food. I leave the grill on the boat

all year because the boat stays in the water all summer, and just remove the cooking grate and bring it home to clean. I go through 2 bottles of gas a season using it 2 days a week average.

I get lots of compliments on the grill and the food. Yes not cheap, but well worth it. You have to buy the rail mount separate.

100_2087.jpg

time to get a grill for my new bennie i have seen the magmas and they look nice but my dealer says they have allot of problems and they reccomend the kumma stow n go grills what do you guys think what have you used?
I found another alternative, which is Springfield. It is less expensive $125 on ebay and it comes either rail mount or post mount. We have been very pleased with it. When not in use it is easy to remove and place in a garbage bag and stored under a seat.

Good luck

Royo

Photo05111726_1.jpg

Back