Maintenance Question

dgallerie

Reaction score
I have a Benny 22S with a Yamaha 115. The motor currently has 51.5 hours on it.

I had the 20 hour maintenance performed last November and it went into outdoor storage (Florida) in April. My question is do I have to do an annual maintenance now or can I wait until next year. I'll only put about 15 hours on it this year due to the weather. Just wondering as my dealer wants $850 for maintenance. I know that's the cost of owning a boat but I don't want to spend unneccissarily.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Don

Is anything recommended by the manufacturer at this time ? Hours or length of time in service ? If you want to keep your warranty intact , manufacturer recommended service should be performed . If you choose to perform it yourself keeps your receipts .

Typically it is recommended to do an annual service on the motor every 100 hours or once annually…which ever comes first. Specifics are with each motor/manufacturer.

$850 is pretty steep IMO, does this include haul out?

At 100 hours change the oil, oil filter and LU oil. Remove prop, inspect for wear and debris fishing line wrapped will damage your LU seal) and lube splines. If you have an inline 10-micron fuel water separator change that too.

Anything more is overkill although your manual may call for inspection of plugs and internal anodes. I changed my plugs at 250 hours and they looked fine. Haven't pulled the internal anodes yet but I'm in fresh water. If you're in salt I would definitely check your hull-mounted anodes and inspect the internal ones per the service manual.

Back