Would you upgrade?

• Yes, that's a heck of a deal

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No, save your money

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

goldnrod24

Reaction score
When I bought my boat, I got the Mercury Marine Gold Warranty (5 years) for free. Today, they offered me the Platinum Warranty (until May 2016) for an additional $147.70.

It would appear that the Gold doesn't cover any of the electronic ignition, the fuel injection pumps, most of the trim system and haul out (also instruments, which I don't have).

I'm not typically an extended warrany fan; it's never paid off for me in the past (they always had a way to weasel out of something). However, the ethanol business makes me wonder about fuel pumps, injectors, etc. into the future.

Still, for a buck and a half, that's got to be less than one failed electrical part, not to mention the labor.

Both plans are a $25 deductible.

Honestly, I'm thinking of throwing the additional bucks at them as cheap insurance.

Your thoughts?

11 call from Sea Tow or another company, will cost you at least that just for them to get you if you're motor is DOA on the lake one day

Todd

Yeah, for One Fiddy, it's worth it. It's just insurance after all... The idea is that you hope you WON'T use it.

11 call from Sea Tow or another company, will cost you at least that just for them to get you if you're motor is DOA on the lake one day

Todd
Todd: Both Gold or Platinum pays only up to $200 per claim occcurence. I don't think Sea Tow even switches on the bilge blower for $200.

Still, $200 is more than the premium.

I got a letter similar to that. If I recall, they wanted me to upgrade for around $567.00. I was thinking that might be a bit steep. Your deal, I would jump on. Mine, I took a pass.

Everything I have ever read about warranty upgrades is they do not figure up in your favor. Hope I made the right decision.

andy

I'd do it. What's a couple more bills at this point?

Derrick

I rarely choose the extended warranty on products but I did on my Yamaha. That price seems very reasonable.

When I bought my boat, I got the Mercury Marine Gold Warranty (5 years) for free. Today, they offered me the Platinum Warranty (until May 2016) for an additional $147.70.

It would appear that the Gold doesn't cover any of the electronic ignition, the fuel injection pumps, most of the trim system and haul out (also instruments, which I don't have).

I'm not typically an extended warrany fan; it's never paid off for me in the past (they always had a way to weasel out of something). However, the ethanol business makes me wonder about fuel pumps, injectors, etc. into the future.

Still, for a buck and a half, that's got to be less than one failed electrical part, not to mention the labor.

Honestly, I'm thinking of throwing the additional bucks at them as cheap insurance.

Your thoughts?
Just playing the Devils Advocate here. Will the warranty cover fuel pumps, injectors, etc. if it is an ethanol issue ? (while we're on the weaseling issue)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just playing the Devils Advocate here. Will the warranty cover fuel pumps, injectors, etc. if it is an ethanol issue ? (while we're on the weaseling issue)
Dear Lucifer: I have to ASSume that since Merc makes the claim that their engines will run on E10, that they can't "weasel" on this one. Now E15, that may be another story.

Dear Lucifer: I have to ASSume that since Merc makes the claim that their engines will run on E10, that they can't "weasel" on this one. Now E15, that may be another story.
Gettin' warm down here !!! But on the other hand maybe it is cheap enough insurance.

Thanks for asking about this. I may have to make a call to Mercury myself...

Your thoughts?
It is a great price. One would think Merc would take a better stand behind all of the engine. Kinda sounds like the original warranty is kinda cheesy. Nonetheless, they do have a good engine!

GGot mine in the mail. 150hp merc optimax pro xs. Platinum packages is $247. I already sent my response in. Going for it. Warranty through 2016. Woo Hoo

Todd

I had the Gold plan. The Plantinum offer came with a comparison sheet. There is quite a bit more coverage for electrical components, including the starter motor and lots of other relays in the Platinum plan. Good insurance. For my 115 merc the plan was 147.70 , I signed up yesterday for the plan.

Don't do it! Most extended warranties are not worth it ... to many exclusion clauses. An expensive iPhone is about the only thing I would consider for an extended warranty .... but you need to read all of the fine details first.

I read through the exclusions and terms. The platinum offers very good value for the $147 cost, most noteable in the area of electrical components. The added coverage in controls and gauges are not real hi risk items and likely not to have issues but engine sensors, solenoids, starter, regulators....are all items you might have an issue with in the plan coverage time frame and well worth the insurance. An Iphone is expensive, and so is a 10K motor

I read through the exclusions and terms. The platinum offers very good value for the $147 cost, most noteable in the area of electrical components. The added coverage in controls and gauges are not real hi risk items and likely not to have issues but engine sensors, solenoids, starter, regulators....are all items you might have an issue with in the plan coverage time frame and well worth the insurance. An Iphone is expensive, and so is a 10K motor
Keep in mind that this is not a warranty (like your first 3 years) but a mechanical breakdown insurance type of plan. If you read the fine print the most out of pocket they will pay over the life of the plan is the original MSRP value of the engine as opposed to the warranty which has no limit to what they are liable to spend to fix/replace your engine. All that being said, I would definitely go for it. Allot of piece of mind for a small price.

Matt

Agreed, and I was fine with a $147 spend to get that much extra coverage. Most of the solenoids will run you 25 to 50 bucks with labor...and I have had starter motors go in less then 5 years. So all it will take is one small failure and you recoop. I would be fine however to never test the policy :)

Keep in mind that this is not a warranty (like your first 3 years) but a mechanical breakdown insurance type of plan. If you read the fine print the most out of pocket they will pay over the life of the plan is the original MSRP value of the engine as opposed to the warranty which has no limit to what they are liable to spend to fix/replace your engine. All that being said, I would definitely go for it. Allot of piece of mind for a small price.

Matt

Back