Mercury 300 4 stroke vs Verado

drjbeyer

Reaction score
My dealer is not a fan of the Verado because of the steering system. I know it is quieter, a bit heavier, has a larger alternator but that seems to be about it.

Has anyone seriously compared the two? Placing my order next week for a 2022 R23.

Had a 2021 R23 with a 300 Yamaha and didn’t love the engine.

My dealer is not a fan of the Verado because of the steering system. I know it is quieter, a bit heavier, has a larger alternator but that seems to be about it.

Has anyone seriously compared the two? Placing my order next week for a 2022 R23.

Had a 2021 R23 with a 300 Yamaha and didn’t love the engine.
Hmmm…I have a 2017 Verado, and the power steering baked into it is fantastic, along with its digital control system and throttle set up. I absolutely love it.

My understanding is the newer Verado’s are better. I will also chime in on how quiet my motor runs compared to others I’ve been around. That’s a very nice characteristic when talking and listening to music.

Did your dealer tell you what specifically he did not like about the Verado steering? Did he say why he likes the other alternative better? I am very curious. Sadly though, I cannot give any direct comparative feedback between the two, especially with the newer 2021 motors.

Last edited:
I’m not sure the issue he has with it other than it can be expensive to repair and takes up room in a storage compartment

but I will add I wouldn’t buy a large outboard on a boat the size of a tritoon with out power steering. Even power assistance is not the same.

Not sure why he wants me to go with a Yamaha, but it will have power steering no matter which way I go.
Thanks

I've had I6 Verado and now the V6 200's on my current boat, which are scaled down 6 cylinder versions of the 300 V8. Mine don't have the Advanced MidSection (AMS) but they do have DTS, which is great. I do really miss the seamless shifting of the AMS and would definitely get it, standard on the Verado version of the V8 300. A few extra pounds aren't going to matter much on a toon, so I would not worry about that. The 115A vs 85A alternator is nice to have if you add much in electronics, but power steering is a must either way and the Merc's integrated one works very well.

Back