Mercury 300 mounting and Prop.

Trout74

Reaction score
My boat comes in November. Bennington L 25Ft. Tritoon with ESP and Merc 300. Should i mount the motor as high as it can be mounted or one hole down? Also what prop? Thinking Enertia 15 X15 or 14.25 X 16P what have you guys succesfully ran? Normal load will be 3 adults and 3 kids and gear.
thanks,

I put in a Merc Verado Pro 300 and used the specs for a 25LSB from Bennington's site, and came up with this:

Merc300Props.png

Exact same props come up with "300 HP V8 Verado" with the 1.75 gear case selected.

yep, 14.5 X 17P I think is good starting point, agree? what about mounting the motor?

Yes, I think that the 14.5x17 is going to be the best bet to try and get the correct prop right off the bat.

It may be a bit tricky with the ESP, since it provides a bit of extra buoyancy. Lowest or second to lowest height may be ideal, but you also need to consider your typical operating conditions of your primary (or any other) BoW that your boat will spend most of its time on.

engine-height.jpg

FYI I’ve found that my 23 is fairly stern heavy due to the weight of the motor and other furniture/accessories aft of the center line. As a result #1 feels way too low and I can even trim up past 3/4 before any sign of ventilating. I’m moving it to #3 next week and if successful I may just mount a hydraulic jack plate with a short setback so I can adjust based on conditions.

Hit 49mph at 5700 rpm, my prediction is 51-52 ish at 6100 after motor raised.

Point of all this is with the 300 you may also squat and could benefit from moving the motor up. But as far as where to start - you’re going to move it again regardless so probably doesn’t matter (unless you start at 4 and ends up perfect).

FYI I’ve found that my 23 is fairly stern heavy due to the weight of the motor and other furniture/accessories aft of the center line. As a result #1 feels way too low and I can even trim up past 3/4 before any sign of ventilating. I’m moving it to #3 next week and if successful I may just mount a hydraulic jack plate with a short setback so I can adjust based on conditions.

Hit 49mph at 5700 rpm, my prediction is 51-52 ish at 6100 after motor raised.

Point of all this is with the 300 you may also squat and could benefit from moving the motor up. But as far as where to start - you’re going to move it again regardless so probably doesn’t matter (unless you start at 4 and ends up perfect).
great info, what motor and prop do you have?
thanks

F250 with a Q3 (Enertia) 17p.

A little data point, I had the boat full of bodies this past weekend which leveled the boat due to them mostly sitting on the bow furniture. As a result I could get the prop to ventilate at about 1/2, so #3 may be a little aggressive when carrying a load.

F250 with a Q3 (Enertia) 17p.

A little data point, I had the boat full of bodies this past weekend which leveled the boat due to them mostly sitting on the bow furniture. As a result I could get the prop to ventilate at about 1/2, so #3 may be a little aggressive when carrying a load.
#1 being lowest setting and #3 being 3 holes higher ( raises motor up ). Correct?

Back