Mercury 500R's introduced

mtudb24

Reaction score
They just keep getting bigger and bigger

I know its not a Benny, but I'm sure they'll be offering them sooner or later. They already offer a single 600.

Attachments

• avalon with twin 500Rs.jpg
    avalon with twin 500Rs.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 600hp merc 2.jpg
    600hp merc 2.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 38
Why???

Fast Boat Syndrome - it's REAL. But wait, this going backwards, they already have the 600 Verando!?!? Ok, I had to look - the 600 has significantly more displacement (7.6 vs 4.6), but it is 500 pounds heavier. Seems a shootout, ideally on Benny, is in order....Right?

Attachments

• M600V Specs.png
    M600V Specs.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 4
  • M500R Specs.png
    M500R Specs.png
    145.7 KB · Views: 4
Not a 500 or 600, but saw a beautiful 25’ Q series bow rider with a 400 Mercury Verado on the back today up at our local boat dealership while I was getting a jet ski seat recall inspected. My oh my was it a gorgeous sporty looking boat.

Fast Boat Syndrome - it's REAL. But wait, this going backwards, they already have the 600 Verando!?!? Ok, I had to look - the 600 has significantly more displacement (7.6 vs 4.6), but it is 500 pounds heavier. Seems a shootout, ideally on Benny, is in order....Right?

The crazy thing about the 600's is the motors don't rotate on the transom. Only the gearcases turn below the water. Time will tell how good they engineered that!

Great question for us mortal's. :cool: As boats get bigger and bigger and people like the idea of being able to keep the lower units out of the saltwater for corrosion protection and the HP to weight ratio, I guess we'll see more and more high HP OB's. 7 marine was the first to introduce 527 and 667hp outboards using a chevy LS V8 block (unless you want to go back to the 80's and 90's when OMC (Evinrude and Johnson) introduced the 3.6L and 4.0L V8 275hp and 300hp OB's which still hold the record for the fastest outboard powered boat at 175+mph,

I was shocked to see this "sport cabin cruiser" being hauled down the road with triple outboards. This still kind of baffles me on why this type of hull would OB's. But I guess its not my money their spending. HAHHAHA

1687308632671.jpeg

The inboards and I/O motors now have to have cat convertors and other pollution equipment. Plus they are hard to find good mechanics that will work on them. Plus the weight penalty and the outboards free up room in the boat.

Great question for us mortal's. :cool: As boats get bigger and bigger and people like the idea of being able to keep the lower units out of the saltwater for corrosion protection and the HP to weight ratio, I guess we'll see more and more high HP OB's. 7 marine was the first to introduce 527 and 667hp outboards using a chevy LS V8 block (unless you want to go back to the 80's and 90's when OMC (Evinrude and Johnson) introduced the 3.6L and 4.0L V8 275hp and 300hp OB's which still hold the record for the fastest outboard powered boat at 175+mph,

I was shocked to see this "sport cabin cruiser" being hauled down the road with triple outboards. This still kind of baffles me on why this type of hull would OB's. But I guess its not my money their spending. HAHHAHA
Spitballing Here - In addition to the extra interior room & easier to fix Bruce noted above, vs Inboards - it provides redundancy, eliminates through hull issues, and no combustion/exhaust issues = much safer setup...for a "Poor" man option!?

Some one on the poker run up here this weekend has a setFB_IMG_1687622853013.jpg

That pic I posted looks like the same boat that you posted.
The only difference i see is the 2 coolers on back platform in front of the engines. Other then, its pretty much identical!

Good eye Todd , I didn't notice the cooler's.

Back