Mercury Optimax oil ?

ronfl

Reaction score
I believe there was a post on here a while ago on what type of oil Optimax owners are using? Good the bad and the ugly! I like OEM products but the Mercury full synthetic here is $40+ a gallon! WOW! Any suggestions?

Walmart. There are only a couple of manufacturers that make oil for everyone.

I don't shop for 2 stroke oil but I'm pretty sure they have both. I use Pennzoil synthetic in my Honda and that's where I buy it.

Pennzoil makes a very good synthetic 2 stroke oil. Walmart sells it cheaper than most. Just make sure you buy the full synthetic. The Pennzoil semi-synthetic is junk. As far as OEM oils go, the BRP Etec oils are top notch. There are many synthetic 2 cycle oils on the market that are designed for high performance applications and IMO, are much better than most. . Alisyn, Red Line, Klotz, and Ipone to name a few. I prefer Alisyn. These oils aren't cheap though, but neither is your motor. It always puzzles me as to why a person invests a huge amount of money into their outboard motor but want's to save a buck or two on oil. Run the good stuff. Your engine will reward you with a longer service life. Rebuilds cost much more than the few bucks saved on oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pennzoil makes a very good synthetic 2 stroke oil. Walmart sells it cheaper than most. Just make sure you buy the full synthetic. The Pennzoil semi-synthetic is junk. As far as OEM oils go, the BRP Etec oils are top notch. There are many synthetic 2 cycle oils on the market that are designed for high performance applications and IMO, are much better than most. . Alisyn, Red Line, Klotz, and Ipone to name a few. I prefer Alisyn. These oils aren't cheap though, but neither is your motor. It always puzzles me as to why a person invests a huge amount of money into their outboard motor but want's to save a buck or two on oil. Run the good stuff. Your engine will reward you with a longer service life. Rebuilds cost much more than the few bucks saved on oil.
I have no intention on running any lower quality oil! I also believe if you skimp on oil you will pay later. Think I'm sticking with the Mercury Optimax full synthetic and that way it's Mercury oil throughout the warranty!

Use the Mercury oil if ya think it'll keep your engine in the good graces of the Mercury warranty dept. :) . However, any of the oils mentioned meet / exceed Mercury's warranty requirements. For recreational use, the quality of Pennzoil full synthetic 2 cycle oil is hard to beat for the price.

Yes sir.

We went boating today with our friend with the 300 Etec. I asked him what the cost of the BRP XD100 was this year. He said he pays $45 / gallon. Yikes!

Yes sir.

We went boating today with our friend with the 300 Etec. I asked him what the cost of the BRP XD100 was this year. He said he pays $45 / gallon. Yikes!
Yes that is the price range of all the pure synthetics! Sticker shock to say the least. Best price I found was at http://domo-online.com/Outboard-Motor-Oil/mercury-c-3/optimax-c-3_9/25-gallon-case-mercury-optimax-oil-2399-gallon-p-13.html. After shipping the 2 2.5 gallon jugs average about $30.00 a gallon!

I always bought my oil in 55 gal drums to get bulk the price break. I usually had a few guys who were willing to split the cost with me.

That's a good price for the Optimax oil. It's a blend and not a full synthetic though.

I always bought my oil in 55 gal drums to get bulk the price break. I usually had a few guys who were willing to split the cost with me.

That's a good price for the Optimax oil. It's a blend and not a full synthetic though.
It's what the dealer said we should use for the Optimax engine! So I will continue to use the OEM oil........

Back