Mercury Overheat Alarm

beartrap

Reaction score
I have a new 25 LSB Tritoon with a Mercury 300 on the back. Had it for about a month and every was running fine. Last week, I had Ultra Legs installed on it and the first time I took it out there were 3 of us in it, cruising about 10 MPH for a half hour or so and the engine shut off and and Overheating Alarm showed on the Simrad. Let it sit for a couple minutes and went back to dock without any other alerts. Took it out the next day with 7 people on it and after about 10 minutes going ~20 MPH the same thing happened. Both times there's been water coming out so it seems to be getting water intake. Had the trim down all the way both times. Anyone experienced this before?

Seems very odd that it was fine until after the Ultra legs were installed. It sure doesn’t seem like there should be any convention between that and this issue, yet the coincidence in timing is interesting.

Frankly I would not try to self-diagnose that issue. I’d get it into a dealership and have them pull the codes on the motor. See if there is something distinct causing that to happen. To valuable of a motor to risk doing damage, or further damage. Fingers crossed for you.

Seems very odd that it was fine until after the Ultra legs were installed. It sure doesn’t seem like there should be any convention between that and this issue, yet the coincidence in timing is interesting.

Frankly I would not try to self-diagnose that issue. I’d get it into a dealership and have them pull the codes on the motor. See if there is something distinct causing that to happen. To valuable of a motor to risk doing damage, or further damage. Fingers crossed for you.
I had something similar happened to me. The boat would go in a limp mode. Idle only. Called dealer and he said run you battery switch on 1&2 both. Something about voltage on some merc’s. Did that and no issues. Only 20 hrs on boat.

Back