Mercury Smart Tow - WOW, it's AWESOME!

LaurencetheAdventurer

Reaction score
So - I had a chance to finally use the Smart Tow feature in my Simrad / Mercury setup. WOW.

Though I am still trying to fully understand all the setting, using adjusted versions of the pre-programmed versions and using my teens as test subjects (TOUGH LITTLE BUGGERS) - LOVE IT. The system allows you to set MPH, RPM (not sure how the RPM is used, the MPH is the constant), hole shot thrust, and put's this info on an easy to understand graph - I call it beginner, typical and advanced (really based on the time to reach target speed) - one kid liked the beginner, one liked the typical, both though the advance was a bit fast but both popped up quickly). Based on the skier I select one of these three programs (the interface to select the program is a bit clumsy), tighten up the rope, and push the throttle WOT - the computer does the rest, brining the boat up to the desired speed - no need to have the experience with throttle adjustments, allowing me to better monitor the skier and everything going on around me. To adjust the speed, I then use the Simrad which has a large +/- touch points. Now I have pulled enough skiers that it will be interesting to see how often I use it - but the THE BIGGEST ADVANTAGE - it takes the experience factor out of popping up a skier and maintaining speed - meaning my co-captains can now pull ME (as the most skilled part is the hole shot & speed maintenance)!

Great stuff!!!!!!

Cool feature!!! The only problem I have when towing is dialing it back after pulling my daughter up on her wakeboard. After hitting the throttle and she pops up she likes to wakeboard about 17-18 MPH. When my wife slaloms she likes to go about 25/26 MPH. Mercury Smart tow would automatically go to those speeds?!?

Larry… great share! We have similar boats and we have the same tech, but have not had a chance to really use it yet.

BigK… the answer is yes. You can create customer profiles for each rider and save them to call up anytime.
Smart Tow Video

Cool feature!!! The only problem I have when towing is dialing it back after pulling my daughter up on her wakeboard. After hitting the throttle and she pops up she likes to wakeboard about 17-18 MPH. When my wife slaloms she likes to go about 25/26 MPH. Mercury Smart tow would automatically go to those speeds?!?
It has at least 5 programs you can customize. And, while the Simrad Screen allows speed adjustments, the Smart Tow is overridden once you move the throttle. Part of the program includes adjusting how fast the hole shot (overshot) is, so while on manual I would be at say 20 when popping a skier out then back down to 18....the program does this for you creating a much smoother experience.

Larry… great share! We have similar boats and we have the same tech, but have not had a chance to really use it yet.

BigK… the answer is yes. You can create customer profiles for each rider and save them to call up anytime.
Smart Tow Video
Right! I have yet spent the time to even setup my Simrad past a slight screen adjustment, I still get the "do you want to set up" message every time I turn the boat on...LOL.

Last edited:
Yup, it’s definitely an acquired skill. Got my grandkids (10 & 7) trying to ski over the holiday weekend. The youngest popped up her first try but I think l dumped her trying to throttle down. Practice makes perfect for both of us! Just glad they were interested enough to try. Seems like a dying sport up here in Michigan anyway.

Back