mirror polished toons

lakebum

Reaction score
Guys, (and gals), Just to update you on my mirror polish job, it is losing some of it's shine but still outshines anything on our lake. I do have many, many hours in the water this July. I only worked seven days all month and every day but one was spent on the water. I am going to re-polish early spring and try shark hide this time. I'll be in touch. Steve

There was a guy @ our lake last week. He had a brand new black bennington IO with fully polished toons. It looked awesome. I would like to know how they have been holding up for you.

Im guessing they would stay pretty nice if

#1 you never shored your boat.

#2 you didn't tie your boat to a dock.

#3 you didn't tie other boats to your boat in a tie up.

So if you pulled your boat out each and every time or you had a boat lift I could see them looking pretty nice all threw the year. If a once a year polish was all it took to keep them nice and mirror like I could see it as a fun and unique thing to do to your boat.

When you have to tie to a dock what kind of bumpers do you use or recomend?

Last edited:
There was a guy @ our lake last week. He had a brand new black bennington IO with fully polished toons. It looked awesome. I would like to know how they have been holding up for you.

Im guessing they would stay pretty nice if

#1 you never shored your boat.

#2 you didn't tie your boat to a dock.

#3 you didn't tie other boats to your boat in a tie up.

So if you pulled your boat out each and every time or you had a boat lift I could see them looking pretty nice all threw the year. If a once a year polish was all it took to keep them nice and mirror like I could see it as a fun and unique thing to do to your boat.

When you have to tie to a dock what kind of bumpers do you use or recomend?
Geewest, #1, I never shore mine but that is because there is not a place to on our lake.

#2 I occasionally tie up to docks, mostly restaurants or the gas dock

#3 I tie up almost every outing with other boats.

I use medium (4" x 20") bumpers and they are positioned for the deck to take most of the action.

It is on a lift and most, if not all, discoloration is at and below the water line. Since it is an 05 model and I get alot of "is that barge brand new?, it has become a pride issue. My wife even understands all the hard work now.

It feels pretty nice to see new Bennys go by and you can tell they are thinking "how did he do that?" If you want details on the polishing, IM me and I will try to break it down. Enjoy the rest of summer! Steve

Geewest, #1, I never shore mine but that is because there is not a place to on our lake.

#2 I occasionally tie up to docks, mostly restaurants or the gas dock

#3 I tie up almost every outing with other boats.

I use medium (4" x 20") bumpers and they are positioned for the deck to take most of the action.

It is on a lift and most, if not all, discoloration is at and below the water line. Since it is an 05 model and I get alot of "is that barge brand new?, it has become a pride issue. My wife even understands all the hard work now.

It feels pretty nice to see new Bennys go by and you can tell they are thinking "how did he do that?" If you want details on the polishing, IM me and I will try to break it down. Enjoy the rest of summer! Steve

Lakebum, Just read your postand would like to know about your polish process. I have just bought a used 22275fs in excelent condition and would like to shine her up. First toon but have other boats. Mel, High Point, NC

ps

I know it has been a while since you posted this, soooo here is my E-mail ?????????????? . New to this posting thing also.

edited by amr7333.

Took out the email address.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lakebum, Just read your postand would like to know about your polish process. I have just bought a used 22275fs in excelent condition and would like to shine her up. First toon but have other boats. Mel, High Point, NC

ps

I know it has been a while since you posted this, soooo here is my . New to this posting thing also.
Just some friendly advice. I wouldn't post your e-mail on an open public forum. Send it in a Private message to that person. lots of spammers lurking for this info. will help keep your in box from being overloaded with junk.

me too me tooo would like to know your polish process just ored a new 2012 and man would those pollished toons look sweet on it. my wife calls me anal. lol

wow that was some bad spelling on my part. although claimed to be a typer :D

Sharkhide has a process to polish toons to a mirror finish. They also have a protect ant to keep toons from oxidizing and they will keep their current appearance. The third product they have is a cleaner. I don't know if calling it a cleaner is the best term. It's a process which removes the current oxidation. Just this weekend I cleaned and protected mine. When the cleaning process is finished, the toons look brand new.

The process is:

use an empty spray bottle with a mix of 1/3 toilet bowl cleaner and 2/3 water. Spray it on the toons until wet. Let it sit 10 minutes or so then power wash. If the gunk is really thick, as mine was, go back and spray the toons a second time with the toilet bowl cleaner mix. This time, work it in with a scotch brill pad. Rinse very well. This should get your toons very clean.

Next, if you so choose, use the sharkhide and mix 1:10 with water. I tried a heavier mix and it didn't make the process any faster so don't waste your stuff. This is a very tedious process. START AT THE BOTTOM as they say. The stuff works best at the top layer so don't treat above your working line. Spray it across in a horizontal line, then come back and spray it again. Move up only when the stuff is done. I rinsed only after a side of a toon was done. The stuff works best on a dry toon. Now your toons are back to looking brand new.

Next you can polish them. I got the stuff but liked the look of the new unpolished look, so I passed.

If you polished, you need to remove the residue with lacquer thinner.

Finally, to keep the look you want, use their protect ant. This goes the easiest. They recommend using a cotton cloth baby diaper, but since I am not around babies, I used the cheese cloth that was close by where I bought my lacquer thinner.

I'll try to post some before and after pics when I get time.

Sharkhide.com

Welp, couldn't add more pics here so I put them in a gallery.

This is after:

I am going to polish the pontoons on a new 2012 G3 for a friend. I will record the procedure and approximate times and post it for those that are interested. I'll start a new post as soon as I start the job. Thanks, Steve

Definitely interested Lakebum! Your toons look amazing!! The bad part of it is I see A LOT of hardwork in my future!! Well done though!!

Derrick

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a two day process and a lot of hard work. I wish I had started with the protectant years ago. Simple cleaning just doesn't get the job done. The protectant will not prevent algie growth, but it HAS to make the process of getting it off much easier. Part of my time was spent explaining the process to people in our park that also have pontoons and giving out information on where to get the stuff.. LOL They were watching and comparing a finished toon to a non finished and they were amazed. So was I..

I also jacked my toons up to get to the entire toon. The area under the bunks had never been cleaned except while swimming. I jacked up one side one day and finished the entire process, then jacked the other side up for the second day. Now, mine were in bad shape. It could take a lot less time on newer toons.

It was a two day process and a lot of hard work. I wish I had started with the protectant years ago. Simple cleaning just doesn't get the job done. The protectant will not prevent algie growth, but it HAS to make the process of getting it off much easier. Part of my time was spent explaining the process to people in our park that also have pontoons and giving out information on where to get the stuff.. LOL They were watching and comparing a finished toon to a non finished and they were amazed. So was I..

I also jacked my toons up to get to the entire toon. The area under the bunks had never been cleaned except while swimming. I jacked up one side one day and finished the entire process, then jacked the other side up for the second day. Now, mine were in bad shape. It could take a lot less time on newer toons.

MrBoo, how did you jack up your toons?  I'm getting ready to polish mine and would prefer to get the whole toon if possible.

Back